HOB Filter

Edwin

I am thinking of setting up a second salt water tank specifically for urchins and other creatures that I cannot keep in my reef tank. I was going to take one of my tanks that I had previously used as fresh water and just use all of the equipment I already have for the tank. Will using a HOB filter system be ok to use for this type of set up? I really do not want to get all new equipment unless it is absolutely a must. Ideas and suggestions are very welcome.

frisbee

That's fine, but just make sure to clean any sort of mechanical filtration on a regular basis. (sponges, socks etc) I'm assuming the live rock ill be your primary biological filter?

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
If I were doing it & wanted things I couldn't keep in my reef tank: I would search for a way to run the 2nd tank like a Refugium runs. That way you use the same filtration for both tanks.
It would depend totally on where you have room to set it up tho.
Maintance would be a lot less.
LFS have lots of tanks all running on the same filtration system so that's what I would try. :)

Edwin

If I were doing it & wanted things I couldn't keep in my reef tank: I would search for a way to run the 2nd tank like a Refugium runs. That way you use the same filtration for both tanks.
It would depend totally on where you have room to set it up tho.
Maintance would be a lot less.
LFS have lots of tanks all running on the same filtration system so that's what I would try. :)
That's a GREAT ideas!! I will have to see about setting that up, I just do not know if I will have enough room to do so where my current tank is located. Thanks for the suggestion!!