hi...

EdgeKrusher

****! I don't even know why I'm posting this.
I've been having Crazy thoughts over past couple of weeks. I look at my aquarium and can't seem to find the enjoyment in it that I once had. My Girlfriend has been doing all the cleaning and feedings. I don't know what's wrong with me. Maybe it's time I just give it up. I don't even know why I'm brining this up right now. I haven't been on the forums in months. I haven't done any testing of the water, I am down to one hermit crab and two snails, I don't like the way the rock work is set up, and... it seems like I'm subconciously letting it go to hell. I need a stand, but I don't know who will help me build it. I just recently read that this hobby is good for the heart, and I used to beleive that with all my heart, but I don't know what to believe any more.
I have no coraline algae, haven't tested CA or ALK, got mad nusiance algae, and don't really care. Aiptasia is taking over the tank, and I don't really care. What's wrong with me? Am I the only one who's ever gotten to this point that they look at the tank and think about ways to sabotage it to make it look like an accident so that thier significant other wouldn't suspect foul play? Isn't that a crazy thought?! :confused:

I used to be so into this, and cared so much. Maybe it's stress, maybe it's frustration, or a combinaton of the two. I can't even bring myself to take pictures of it, I'm ashamed of it, or am I ashamed of myself?
Well anyway, I'm not expecting any response to this, more of an expectaiton that it'll be deleted. Hope everyone is well. Take care.

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Been there, felt that.... My brain seems to go through seasonal changes just like the weather. I'll phase out of something for a bit then eventually come around and start enjoying it again. In the many years I have spent loving the aquarium hobby, I have probably "phased out" 2 or 3 times. I am not really sure what brought me back around so I don't know what to tell you. I think it helps when visitors are mezmorized by my tank when they come over. I then feel like I have something really special.

Just keep chilling, maybe you will come to your senses? ;)

You could "cook" your rocks while you chill!! Then they'll be ready for you in a couple of months :D

Good luck to you!

Curtswearing

Sorry to hear that Bill.

I hope you are spending your time doing something that you do enjoy. Go take some pictures at the zoo. Get outside and do something you don't normally do. Come back with a refreshed mind and make a decision about your tank. You can let it stay in it's current state, take it down, or do some work on it. It's your choice.

I do want you to think about one thing though. What was it that motivated you to set it up in the first place? Why did it bring you joy? Do you think that if you spent an afternoon cleaning the tank, would you enjoy the tank again?

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step. What direction do you want to step?

NaH2O

Contributing Member
EK -

Sorry you are feeling this way. Right now I have a toddler screaming her head off at me because she woke up too early from her nap, and nothing is helping (and not just screaming...I'm talking screaming). I hear ya on the nuisance algae, too. Here is my tank....although it is still in the algae cycle phase, and I know all about patience and this is all part of it....it is still frustrating. Hang in there.

Oh, here is a pic of the algae phase of my tank:

NaH2O

Contributing Member
Here is the after shot. It took some work to manually remove the algae. I've added a phosphate reactor and removed the algae twice since. Now, I'm reserved to the fact that I am probably making the algae worse by sporing it out, so I need to sit back and let things happen. They will get better.....see....my toddler stopped screaming and is wanting to play.

fidojoe

Fish Addict
Sorry to hear that EK, I'm kinda in that mode as well. Partially cause I just recently had a mass die off of fish and shrimp from ich and high phosphates(which "burned" one cleaner shrimp, and my peppermint), and I lost one of my clowns to what I'm almost positive was brook. which my other two seemed to miraculously fight off. So far I've lost my secretly kept:D gold rim tang that I had for about 3 months, my canary blenny, my clown goby, the already mentioned baby clown, cleaner and peppermint shrimp, and a small torch I recently purchased. Everything else seems to be just fine, including my BTA and the clone, who are still happily sitting towards the bottom of the tank in the same spot they have been in since I purchased it. I'm planning on a large scale cleaning today, hopefully it will help...

Montanareefer

Has been struck by the ban stick
Hey Edge I know the feeling all to well.

I recently got all the equipment together to do a 60 gallon cube tank and it sits in the living room now for months and not much done to it.

I just did not have the motivation or desire to do the plumbing and get it going. On Aug 1st I suffered a heart attack and was able to survive that and presently in the process of doing some major life style changes so the tank will take a further back seat..

Will start rehab on Monday and looking forward to getting healthy and even talking of getting back into running which I loved and was pretty good at and even hiking into some high mountain lakes again...

Find that avenue of fullfillment and joy you are seeking and go with it....There is more to life than a reef tank and don't believe I am saying that but believe me it is true.

You will know what you want to do when the time comes and wish you the very best. :)

Witfull

EK,,,where ever your desires take you,,go with it,,i went without a tank for 5 yrs...i did lizards, and outside stuff...(i was in AZ) but then i got back into it by getting a goldfish for the wife,,,,next thing you know,,full reef and and i was back like i never missed a step.

dont feel obligated to keep the tank. enjoy life! there have been options above and some in your own mind, do what you want to do,,,not what others expect you to do, if you want to climb mountains,,do it...or if you want a big screen TV and a DVD collection,,,DO IT!

Gina

RS STAFF
I am in agreement with several of the others. Don't feel like you have to keep the tank running. You have to do what is going to make you happy first! And you don't have to leave us just because you don't have a reef up and running! Good luck in your decision. Enjoy life!

EdgeKrusher

Well this past weekend I got down and dirty. Cleaned the tank, reaquascaped. it's looking alot better, but ever since I started dosing Kalk again the tank has been quite cloudy. Is there some reason for this, it had never done this in the past. I checked my CA and ALK and they were both rather high. CA was at 500+ it was off the salifert chart, and the ALK was at about 13 dkh. Everything was open, and looked good, the fish look health, the tank is just cloudy. And how do I get my CA and ALK down. I know there's an article out there and I had it saved in my favorites but two weeks ago I had to install a new Hard Drive, the old one choked, gaged, and died I lost alot of stuff. So Mr. Links (Curt that would be you), or anyone else please send me all that you have cuz I'm in some need of it.

Thanks

P.S. This hobby is what I need, I've been so stressed lately I just have forgoten about it.

tommyp

I think from your parmeters you just have to let the alk and ca come down. Ether water change it out or stop adding anything till they fall in to normal levels. You are precipitating the Ca in the tank that is the cloudyness.

Maxx

Bill,
Its really hard to come after the advice of those who have visited this thread before me......
But,
There is some really good advice here....
Ive gone through periods of discontent/malaise/disgust/frustration pick your word or description of choice......I think we all go through periods of time when this hobby isnt as "fun" or "Exciting" as it used to be. An important thing to remember is that you dont have to keep it up and running if you dont want to...this is your hobby, it belongs to you, not the other way around. Take some time off if you want and explore different things that interest you. Photography, motorcycles, reading, cooking, knitting, whatever.....just dont feel locked into this.
As far as the cloudiness.....I agree w/ tommy. I think your aquarium chemistry is outta whack and you are precipitating calcium back into the tanks water column. I would do a small water change and cut down on the dosing until your parameters get back in line.
HTH,
Nick

NaH2O

Contributing Member
EK - I wondered if you are using Oceanic salt? (fearing salt discussion - I am not bashing anything about it, as I use it myself) The reason I asked is there are a lot of hobbyists getting a 500+ calcium readings with 1500+ Mg (myself being one). My alk is low in comparison to those readings, so I bump that up. If you want - do a Ca test on your make up water before you try to decrease it with a water change. If your make up water is high in Ca, then it won't help to lower it.

For the chemistry links:

Water Chemistry - from the resource library.

EdgeKrusher

Thanks Nikki, I'll try that. I haven't been very impressed with the Oceanic Salt. I notice that once I started using it I started seeing alot more algae, not the pretty stuff. I know it may have nothing at all to do with this particular brand, maybe just high phosphates from feeding, but I only feed 4 times a week, and only enough so that the fish eat well. All my coraline algae has bleached. I'll take a look at those articles tonight, and take it from there.

Thanks

Witfull

glad your feeling better, EK, its part of reefing and human nature.

as for the high Ca,,,get a clam,,,that will solve it,,LOL

EdgeKrusher

LOL, I want one but don't know if I could keep one under 96w of PC lights. The tank looked much clearer when I got home yesterday, and I decided to stop dosing Kalk until I get the balance of the two about right.