Help - New RSM c-130 runs way too hot!

Layton128k

Hi everyone,

I recently decided to get into the saltwater aquarium hobby and purchased a new RSM c130 because of the "all in one" concept. I've purchased some books and read up quite a bit online and feel like I have a general understanding of the hobby. I purchased 35 lbs of Caribsea live sand, filled the tank with salt water I mixed from RO water and have let the sand settle. So far all I have in the tank is water and sand. I've been running the circulation pump and the skimmer to break them in. I have the tank in my living room that we set at 72 degrees and not in any direct sunlight. I've been doing some tests and with both the circulation pump and skimmer (no lights) it runs about 86.5 degrees. With no skimmer this drops to about 82 and with nothing it falls well below the 80s.

I understand that 80 is about just right but I really don't want to buy a chiller for a tank that was advertised as all in one. I don't think I should have to leave the lid open either to clip fans on as that completely ruins the appeal of the unit. Is this amount of heat normal? Should I contact RSM customer service? The skimmer and pump both seem to be working fine. With no lights, skimmer, pump and cooling fans on this still runs about 84 - but as I understand the fans should not need to be on unless the lights are. I've tried 2 thermometers and both read similarly. Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks in advance for any guidance with this!

Jay

Land Rover

Don't want to state the obvious, but there are only a couple of things I can think of - your heater is sticking on - assuming you put one on, or there is a problem with your fans or something is blockig airflow.

Land Rover

My house sits at 73 with the Ac and slightly lower with the heat, and I've had nothing like that heat buildup, and it would come down at night. It is a 130d though.

Layton128k

Ive had the heater turned off ever since I noticed the temperature rising. I never actually took it out though - I'll try that. When you say something is blocking airflow - are you referring to the cooling fans or skimmer/pump?

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Hi Jay,

welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary and the RSM Club, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

Start a new tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along - we love pics :)

From my experience in my RSM 130D

The rear cooling fans will need to run 24x7 - they are not related to the cooling fans that cool the lights & only come on when the lights are on

if your ambient temp of your home is 72-73F & you run the rear cooling fans, your tanks temps will be 82-84 - the pumps are producing the heat - the good news is all your fish & corals will thrive at these temps - mine always have... here is a good read

a good :read: Ron Shimek's Website...Critters

a partial extract...

The average temperature calculated for all 1000 + coral reefs was 81.7°F. Over all reefs, the average lowest temperature observed was 76.4°F, and the average highest temperature was 86.4°F. One way that these data could be interpreted would be to say that for most corals and coral reef animals, the best conditions would be between 76°F and 86°F, with the average being about 82°F.

hope this helps

Land Rover

Yeah, it may be different, but that's a lot of heat to be putting in via pumps. I've added a lifereef sump and had some heat issues but that was running a Mag 9.5 for the skimmer and a mag 7 return on . Even then it didn't get higher than 82-83.

zigman

I hate to say it, but I think you should break down and get a chiller. Plug it in, set, and never think about temps again.

waterbug

I have the same issue with my new to me red sea 130. Hits 83.3 ish during the day and 79.5 ish at night. Anyone running these stock? A chiller is not really in the budget for me right now.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

Start a new tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along - we love pics :)

I ran a RSM 130D stock, similar temps and all my corals & fish thrived - you can have success stock - run your rear cooling fans 24x7 & keep your homes ambient temp 73 or below... you will be fine

endosidney

The pump on the skimmers for the 130C are producing excessive heat. Confirmed this with RS. Either contact them to get a replacement or get a Tunze 9001, which I did.

Just to make sure, turn off the skimmer for a day or two and you should see the temp go down dramatically.

Sidney

NHJMC

I’ve got a 130d to me is running hot i keep it at 79 degrees so 81 not ok with me. I’ve lost all my sps coral frags in 3 days of this heat wave. I got the upgrade pump and upgraded to the Tunze 9001 skimmer and Intank media basket and had nothing but problems since doing so. I don’t get it tanks got stock Red Sea bulbs stock Red Sea everything not to mention at 81 with a 12,000 btu air conditioner running 6 feet from it All day.

NHJMC

I’ve got a 130d to me is running hot i keep it at 79 degrees so 81 not ok with me. I’ve lost all my sps coral frags in 3 days of this heat wave. I got the upgrade pump and upgraded to the Tunze 9001 skimmer and Intank media basket and had nothing but problems since doing so. I don’t get it tanks got stock Red Sea bulbs stock Red Sea everything not to mention at 81 with a 12,000 btu air conditioner running 6 feet from it All day.
Forgot to mention I took all my upgrades out and put all the Red Sea stock stuff back in yesterday