Hello !!

NickF

Hi Everyone,

I've been lurking on the site for several months now admiring everyones great tanks and trying to learn as much as possible, and now I think it's time to take the plunge. I'm going to get a RSM C130 and this is the shopping list I have so far:

RSM C130
RSM Starter Kit (are they any good?)
20kg Live Rock (my LFS sells Indonesian but I think I'll get some Fiji online, do you think it is better?)
10kg Red Sea Reef pink dry aragonite sand (is that enough or should I get 20kg?)
D&D Portable Refractometer

I'd also like to get an RO DI unit at some point, but I haven't got anywhere to connect it indoors & it wouldn't fit on any of my taps, could I connect it to my outside tap only when required? I'll be getting RO water from my LFS when setting up my tank, so the unit would be for water changes.

Is there anything else I'd need to get started or does anyone suggest any good alternatives for what I've got so far?

I have no previous marine tank experience so any help is more than welcome.

Thanks

ziggy

Hi Everyone,

I've been lurking on the site for several months now admiring everyones great tanks and trying to learn as much as possible, and now I think it's time to take the plunge. I'm going to get a RSM C130 and this is the shopping list I have so far:

RSM C130
RSM Starter Kit (are they any good?)
20kg Live Rock (my LFS sells Indonesian but I think I'll get some Fiji online, do you think it is better?)
10kg Red Sea Reef pink dry aragonite sand (is that enough or should I get 20kg?)
D&D Portable Refractometer

I'd also like to get an RO DI unit at some point, but I haven't got anywhere to connect it indoors & it wouldn't fit on any of my taps, could I connect it to my outside tap only when required? I'll be getting RO water from my LFS when setting up my tank, so the unit would be for water changes.

Is there anything else I'd need to get started or does anyone suggest any good alternatives for what I've got so far?

I have no previous marine tank experience so any help is more than welcome.

Thanks

greetings and welcome

For the RO, Bulk reef supply has excellant do it yourself videos, one of which is connecting the BRS 5stage RO/DI to 3 differant locations and its so easy.
try playing it. perhaps you can put in a "TEE" fitting under your sink, between your sink cold water shut off valve and the cold water line? (not the hot water)

NickF

Thanks for the info ziggy, I'll definitely have a look. The problem is that theres not much room under the sink but hopefully the videos will give me a better idea of what I need to do.

Cheers

Snelly40

Hi and welcome!!!

yes the BRS tools are great, we tapped into my cold water line and it was a breeze. The tubing is long so even if you tap into that line you wont have to have the whole unit underneath... the units are bigger than you think

ziggy

Thanks for the info ziggy, I'll definitely have a look. The problem is that theres not much room under the sink but hopefully the videos will give me a better idea of what I need to do.

Cheers

the unit can be either mounted on a wall above the sink.. or even on the floor for 2 days a week while you make the RO, then just remove it from the "TEE" you put permanently in place. might be worth the inconveinance for the big cost savings.

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Welcome to RS! Congrats on the RSM 130 we have a lot of members running those tanks!

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

Start a new tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along - we love pics :)

Here a thread... that may be of interest
http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/equipment/77051-simple-ro-di-hookup-anyone-can-do.html

yorkieUK

PREMIUM
:swmfish::welcomera:swmfish::welcomera:swmfish::welcomera:swmfish:

If you have any questions, just post them on the forum and someone will help you out.
They're a friendly bunch of people on here and you'll be sure to make some good contacts and great friends.

The advice and tips on here are invaluable to any beginner as I myself have found.
If there is anything else that you're not sure of, just post a question here on your thread and someone will help you out pretty quickly.
I checked out a few reef forums before joining this one and it is definitely the best for good advice and great new friends.
Once you have posted 5 messages, you'll be able to start a Reef Chronicle and add some photos to show the rest of the world your handy-work.

Once you start your Reef Chronicle, the following instructions will put your photos into your messages.:ofr:

When you go to your library in Photobucket, you need to "Copy" the http:// address that is in the "Direct" tab of the photo.
When you go to your thread on RS, click on "Insert Image" and "Paste" thehttp://address.
You can add one picture at a time, or put a ";" followed by a space, between eachhttp:// address.

I hope this helps.

Good Luck and I look forward to see your photos in the near future. :geekin:

YorkieUK.

Last edited:

whippetguy

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Hi and welcome to Reef Sanctuary! Looks like you're getting off to a good start with your list.

gbose

NickF,

I'm not sure what's in the 'RS Starter Kit' (I got my RSM130 used), but:

You need a water test kit. The API kit is good.
You need a siphon/gravel vac for water changes, and a bucket to used water.
I wouldn't worry about the RO/DI Unit for now,if your LFS will sell you salt water and RO/DI water. It'll be one less thing to deal with at a time when you're learning about a lot of stuff already.
If you're not already familiar with the process for 'cycling' a tank, read up on it (wasn't sure -- you say you haven't marine tank experience. Have you kept freshwater tanks?)
Don't add livestock until your tank is cycled. Research before buying and go very slow when you start buying.

Good luck!

GBose