HELP! Height of LEDs

capital1983

Hi all,

So I just got 2 Vioar Spectra 165w LEDs for my 75g reef w/ 29g sump.

Previous to this I was running a 716w metal Halides unit with T5s. I used the legs that came with the unit instead of hanging it so the unit was probably about 5 inches off the water column.

My hammer corals experienced a lot of bleaching due to this and I am hoping I can nurse them back to health with these LEDs. I have mounted them 11” off the water column. My photo period is blues come on 11am whites 1pm then whites off 7pm and blues off 9pm.

I also purchased Brightwells CoralAmino - Amino Acid Complex that I plan to start dosing to help aid the healing and new growth. I feed coral frenzy 2-3x a week.

Do you think there is anything else that I should do? Thanks!!!
6c700a2687d8e125933945c13842c748.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Uncle99

I use the same lights over my 65g.
They are very powerful and can easily fry corals.
Visparspectra states 1000 par 8”, I found it more like 750 ish.
I run 80% blue on 10% white, 14” off the water, 400 ish right under the light.

Transfer slowly from 30% blue, 1-10% white, over months to 50-80%Blue, 1-40% white depending on the depth of blue you like and of course, how corals like.

All looks good to me, good luck, I have been real happy with mine.

capital1983

I use the same lights over my 65g.
They are very powerful and can easily fry corals.
Visparspectra states 1000 par 8”, I found it more like 750 ish.
I run 80% blue on 10% white, 14” off the water, 400 ish right under the light.

Transfer slowly from 30% blue, 1-10% white, over months to 50-80%Blue, 1-40% white depending on the depth of blue you like and of course, how corals like.

All looks good to me, good luck, I have been real happy with mine.
Thank you for your additional advice uncle99! I heard from a bunch of hobbiest around me that 8”-14” is widely used for LEDs. I think that things will shape up in due time and I have fragged some corals and placed them at different depths to see what they like best. I absolutely love the difference and am very happy with my setup now as well!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk