Heads up for PinPoint Wireless Thermometer users

redsea reefer

I check my American Marine Pinpoint wireless thermometer for accuracy once a week with a glass thermometer and just found out it is 3 degrees F higher than actual water temp. The Pinpoint says 80 degrees F and my glass one says 77.

If you use one, I suggest checking it to make sure. I'm calling American Marine tomorrow to give em a :whip:

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Eddie - I just checked mine. My Pinpoint Wireless gave me 26.9C and my laboratory glass mercury thermometer was 26.6C. 80.4F vs 79.9K. A half degree difference - not quite as accurate as when it was new last year, but still close enough for me. Thanks for the heads up though. The Pinpoint has been the most accurate digital I've tried, but I've learned not to trust digitals, especially as the probes get older.

BigJay

I think its pretty accepted that most digital thermoters are not very accurate. Consistancy in temp is really the key versus being accurate to within +/- .1 degree.
btw I do agree though 3 degrees is about +/- 4% of accuracy @ 80 degrees and certainly not considered good. I've seen lots of complaints about the AC JR controller probes too.

tnwillia

I never had any luck with mine. It worked for 2 days and quit. Never could get a good reading after that. This is the only Pinpoint unit I've had problems with.

redsea reefer

When I bought it, it was only a half a degree off till this week. Half a degree is no prob but 3 is. I called Pinpoint and they said they will replace it.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Good customer service! Had you replaced the batteries in the probe? My remote display is getting weak (batteries going), but the temp. was still accurate. I haven't had to replace any batteries yet, but it's probably overdue for new ones.

redsea reefer

Terry- yeah, I put new batteries in when I bought it 3 months ago and I even went and bought some new ones to make sure but still same reading.

Harry Vederci

I have never had any luck with these thermometers and I've owned them for at least 4 years. I have 2 sensors and set the receiver to scroll thru the temps of my two tanks. The temps vary widely during the course of months, thus showing they are not accurate. Using a very good instant read thermometer, the temps are minimally 3F degrees off, the pinpoint reads cooler. At various times the sensor would read as much as 10 degrees warmer.

As to scrolling thru the temps, I find that my garage door openers will change the sensor setting all the time. So that feature is virtually useless to me.

Would I recommend these to anyone. The short answer is no. Go out and purchase a good instant read thermometer and it will cost approximately the same and get more accurate results.