HELP! Hammerhead Coral eaten my African Blue Coral

melvis

Hi all

Came home from work tonight and as I was topping up my ATO reservoir I noticed that my African Blue Coral had been knocked off and had come to rest right alongside my Hammerhead Coral.

I managed to get it out from where it had become lodged and bits began to float about, signalling it had been subject to a sustained attack and had probably been there since this morning or dare I say, last night - I was late this morning so didn't get to do my usual quick morning inspection.

I've relocated it to the bottom at the front in the hope it will recover. I only got it on Sunday and absolutely love its colour and don't want to lose it, and it cost me £55!

Any one got any ideas as to what I can do? Thanks very much!!!

F981E045-48AB-435A-90FC-A4E77FA8368A_zpsvj5hn2ok.jpg

DaveK

At this point you don't do anything except keep an eye on it. You may loose the part of the coral where it came in contact with the other coral. Make sure it gets some good but not hihg water circulation all around it, but don't blast it.

Since it it a soft coral, as a last resort you can frag off the good parts, and use the toothpick method to mount them on LR.

melvis

I thought as much Dave, but had hoped there may be something that could be done. It's down the front of the tank and gets good circulation, I turned the MP10 down last night too as I could see it may get battered around.

I hadn't thought of fragging it. It does look pretty nasty on the stalk, like something bit a chunk out of it. I suppose it could be split?

Thanks for the advice mate.

I'm just as gutted today as I was yesterday!

Pat24601

It sucks, but it happens. I've definitely lost corals that way. Let's see how it goes. It seems like you should be able to salvage at least some of it.

melvis

I do hope so Pat. Got home from work tonight and some of the polyps were slightly extended on the other side to the damage, but I'll wait for the lights to come on in the morning to take a better look. I'll make a judgement then and if needs be, will have to break out the scalpel. :-(