Halide question

BEELZEBOB

is there like a chart, or formula that will help me predict how hot my teeny weeny tank will get with a HQI at said height?

i wish i had a formula for eveything

BigJay

is there like a chart, or formula that will help me predict how hot my teeny weeny tank will get with a HQI at said height?

i wish i had a formula for eveything

I tried to figure it out forever if there was a way to get close but there are too many factors. It was the nail in the coffin to not go halides for me.

yungreefer2410

i have my mh 10 in. over my tank and i have noticed not but one degree in change it has an open back and i am going to install an fan soon just to be on the safe side

BigJay

ambient temp,air movement, tank location, tank design, sumps, water movement in the tank, size of the fixture (amount it covers the tank.. sheesh the list could go on things you'd have to factor.

SubRosa

I have a single 175 W 20000K 6" above a 46 BF. All summer I had the ac set on 78 and I found that my tank basically ran about a degree and a half above ambient at night and during the day it actually ran COOLER due to a powerful squirrel cage type blower aimed at the sump that ran in sync with the halide. I had the canopy and the doors on the stand open as it's a homemade setup that I bought used. It looks good but no provision for adequate ventilation was made when it was built. A similar setup might work for you Bob, just be careful around the squirrel cage!

John

CATALYST

What's the tank size and maybe people could tell you if they have that set up and how hot it gets?
I have a 24 aquapod with 150 mh and a chiller and it gets to 84. I don't run the AC or a fan.

chrome91

if its a 150w on your 18g i would extremely roughly guess 5-8F. lots of variables though (height of suspension, tank depth, hood or no hood, etc)

Varga

I think you need massive fans or your tank will boil dude. I got 4x250 HQI's on a 300g, with 3 box fans and a couple of small fans, temp easily goes up 4-6 degrees in a few hours.

BEELZEBOB

yea... adnabit.

i dont know what im gonna do.

any good 20" 96-150 watt T5 fixtures out there with individual reflectors out there?

BEELZEBOB

okay. question series:

Jack, do you sell those?

how often do the bulbs need to be replaced?

roughly how much do the bulbs cost?

can i turn on just the actinics, and just the daylights, or do they have to go on @ the same time?

michael_cb_125

Megan has the Ice Cap T5 VHO Retrofit over her tank. It really throws ALOT of light.
Reefgeek.com is where I got it from
~Michael

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
okay. question series:

Jack, do you sell those?

how often do the bulbs need to be replaced?

roughly how much do the bulbs cost?

can i turn on just the actinics, and just the daylights, or do they have to go on @ the same time?

The bulbs need to be looked at in 9-12 months. I would imagine they are in the $20 range

Current's site/server is down so I can't check for sure but I believe the Actinics and Daylights are on different cords so individually controlled. Next you'll want a tank controller bro!!

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Ok it's back up again... LOL

* Individually contoured reflectors for maximum light intensity
* Cool running, performance-driven electronic ballasts
* Fan-cooled for superior color spectrum, output and lifespan
* Independent controls for dawn/dusk applications

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Ok it's back up again... LOL

* Individually contoured reflectors for maximum light intensity
* Cool running, performance-driven electronic ballasts
* Fan-cooled for superior color spectrum, output and lifespan
* Independent controls for dawn/dusk applications

BigJay

pretty sure daylights and actinics are wired seperately. About every 12 months on bulb replacement. Depending on brand they are very cheap.

Al beat me too it.