Good vinyl tubing for sump at HD/Lowe's and what size?

DaveK

Your looking at Vinyl Braided Tubing. This is OK to use, but it will not stretch much. Usually regular Vinyl Tubing is a better choice.

Ideally you want tubing that fits snugly and you don't need to heat it up so you can stretch it to fit. However, heating up is one way to get it on if it just will not quite fit. Heat it up in hot water only. Once you get it on this way it's very difficult to get it off without cutting the tubing.

As for size, take the part of the pump that you connect the tubing to when you shop and trial fit it in the store. There is some variation between tubing, including the wall thickness. Also, the Tunze is a European manufactured pump, so it's made to metric standards. You will not have any trouble finding tubing that will work, but it may seem a little tight or loose.

You might also want to get some plastic hose clamps to make sure it stays on.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Ditto to what DaveK said. I used the "Braided" tubing and it was more difficult to get to slide onto the fittings and it cost a tad more. We don't normally run any significant pressure in our tubing so no need to go over board in most set-ups.

I would get water boiling in the microwave and hold the end of the hose in it for about 30 seconds then push it over the fitting. It was tight while hot and SUPER tight once it cooled in place. Be sure to take anything that will need hoses with you because you want to get all the hose, connectors, clamps and everything in one trip. This probably wont be a reality but you'd be surprised how many "quick" trips you can make when trying to plumb a system together LOL!

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I used a ball valve and "unions" through out my system. This way I could tweak flow as well as isolate certain sections for maintenance and changes. You're more than welcome to check out my 90G Chronicle linked in my signature.

Slammed01

Canopy done and Pump is on its way, so just making a plumbing list for the weekend. Flex or spa flex, unions, ball valve clamps for flex if desired. Most likely 3/4" or 1" ID? THE sump came with a in line so just need return.

DaveK

Spa flex is great stuff but there are some things to be aware of.

Because the inside of spa flex is ridged, it causes a much greater loss of water flow compared to standard rigid PVC pipe. I recommend you use rigid pipe where ever possible and use spa flex only where you are going to gain something.

Get pipe cement and primer for use with spa flex. The standard stuff will work, but stuff made for spa flex works a lot better. If you much use the standard stuff use it liberally with spa flex.

While we are on the subject, clear pvc primer is available. Using it will give you a much better looking job than using the purple PVC primer.

Note - You only use clamps where your using clear pvc tubing and hose barbs. Usually you try to avoid this because it causes a lot of flow loss.

Slammed01

Looking at flex tubing on return side, will 3/4" ID work? Thinking of barb and ball valve as well. Would 3/4" be okay there too? Trying to gather parts to do Thanksgiving weekend!

Found 1" nylon clamps on amazon as well

DaveK

The size tubing you will need depends upon the pump your going to use. Larger pump means you need a large hose. 3/4" may be enough in some cases.

On the return side, I recommend you construct most of it out of rigid pvc pipe, and only use the tubing for a short run between the pumpo and the rigid pvc pipe.

Be sure to set up your return so it can not back siphon if the power fails. I drill a small hole, about 1/4" just below the tank's water line. That way if the power fails, the tank will drain slightly, exposing the hole and breaking the siphon.

I do not recommend check valves here, because in a SW tank they tend to get stuck in the open position and fail when you need them. They just get too glopped up with all the stuff that grows in a SW tank.

Slammed01

Going to be sealing with Oateys Great White, got my Vinyl 3/4" ID reinforced tubing for return, had hell of a time finding fittings.

Tried to find 3/4 to 1" male/barb for the ball valve so I'll be using 3/4 to 3/4.

Are these okay to use, says 80 PSI.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Watts-3-...b-x-GH-Adapter-A-591/100152335#specifications

or should I get these rated for 150:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Watts-3-4-in-x-3-4-in-Plastic-Barb-x-MIP-Coupling-A-590/100210038

I looked on amazon prime for grey but couldn't find any 3/4" to 3/4".

What I have so far:

tubing
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Watts-1-in-x-3-4-in-Vinyl-Braided-Tubing-SBVNL10/100151485

Ball valve-Sch 40
http://www.lowes.com/pd_21482-33599-P200+3/4_0__

Come on holiday weekend so I can get my tank setup!

DaveK

What your looking at will work. The 80 psi stuff is fine. We come nowhere close to that in aquarium stuff.