Goo on my Zoo??

catran

I've had these zoa's about 2 months. They were doing fine and then one of the bulbs in my 15 gal. went out. Turns out it can't be fixed so after a week I moved all my zoa's to my RSM 130 onto a frag rack. When I did this I noticed that half of them ( mixed frag-green&yellow), looked dark and kind of chewed on. I put the frag disk where it would get better lighting and about 3 days later, it looked like they rotted. I had to scrape the yellow off, they were barely there, as if they rotted away.

I was shocked and concerned about the green half, so I dipped them in RO/lugols. Today, there is a white mucous covering them. Any suggestion? Should I leave the mucous or lightly brush it off? Thanks

b351ac85.jpg

cbrownfish

This is a condition sometimes nicknamed "cheesing out". Essentially, it is a fungus resulting from rapid die off within this coral colony. It is likely that the lack of light or another irritant stressed out your coral. While I would definitely have recommended the iodine dip, don't do any more fresh water dipping of this stressed coral. I would do another round of iodine (using some tank water) dipping and during the dip, use a turkey baster to gently remove as much of the fungus as you can.

These polyps are definitely in bad shape and you may lose some/all of them. Good luck.

catran

Thanks, didn't think I was going to get anyone who knew about this. Do you see the "mold" on the top portion of the pic? I have some of that on my large colony. I had moved it up in my tank to get more light since some of the polyps weren't opening. After about a week when none of them opened, I put them back lower in my tank. I dipped them also and got a ton of amphipods and the colony looks a lot better but I still have some mold on part of the colony. What can I do? Thanks so much! Cat

catran

The small frag is not getting better. As a matter of fact, just in case, I moved them to my 15g to get them away from my other zoa frags. Now they look like they have rotted from the inside out, weird.
The colony is not looking good, the polyps (mostly radioactive dragon's eye) have seperated but after the dip, some have started to open. Some look like they are starting to mold but are still trying (not completely) open. I am dipping them again today so and I will see if that helps again.

8df91ddb.jpg

8c2a9d54.jpg

45c3ec46.jpg

504dcb7c.jpg

415ef76f.jpg

LPS_Blasto

I think your best bet is to just leave them alone for awhile. Zoas are pretty hardy as long as the water parameters are decent. I've seen zoas close up for weeks. Some will die. The survivors will make a strong come back when they get comfy again. Moving them from one tank to the other and back again and dipping them has probably stressed them quite a bit. Just leave em be. Suck any obvious mush out daily as some may continue to die and rot away. I'll bet within a couple weeks they are open again and looking better.

I think your best bet is to just leave them alone for awhile. Zoas are pretty hardy as long as the water parameters are decent. I've seen zoas close up for weeks. Some will die. The survivors will make a strong come back when they get comfy again. Moving them from one tank to the other and back again and dipping them has probably stressed them quite a bit. Just leave em be. Suck any obvious mush out daily as some may continue to die and rot away. I'll bet within a couple weeks they are open again and looking better.

I would lesson to this guy if i was you....

catran

Yeah, they died. They just rotted. Shortly afterwards I found a zoo eating nudi in my tank. Yesterday, I caught 3 on my various zoa's. Tomorrow I will go to the LFS about 30 mins. away and get Salfert Flat Worm Exit. I saw a few threads that instructed you to dip them in it and it will kill the nudi's. I lost 3 zoo's so far. Two to them and one, to I believe a rouge large emerald crab.

At least my large colony is still hanging in there...

Last edited: