Getting things ready with an older RSM 130

Tory Larsen

Hey guys, new to this forum. I am just about to get started on my Red Sea Max 130, but the last thing I wanted to know was about filters, I see a lot of different answers online, but I want to get some knowledge from you all. When starting to cycle the tank with live sand, live rock, should I use the biomedia filters (ceramics?) or should I use something different, I have read others using chemipure elite and purigen.
What are all your thoughts?

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
:rbwwelc:to RS ! Post some pics so we can follow along !

Most ditch the bio-noodles & let their LiveRock serve that purpose - I always had luck with the chemipure elite and purigen combo

Tory Larsen

It’s bare at the moment, I’m going to 3D print an ABS plastic rack to hold the cpe and purigen, if that is the recommendation everyone has!

Attachments

• 17592DAD-6EEC-4641-BF25-669071412BE7.jpeg
    17592DAD-6EEC-4641-BF25-669071412BE7.jpeg
    75.4 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

Tory Larsen

:rbwwelc:to RS ! Post some pics so we can follow along !

Most ditch the bio-noodles & let their LiveRock serve that purpose - I always had luck with the chemipure elite and purigen combo

Maybe an odd question, but I can put the cpe and purigen on the side of the return circulation pump correct? Replacing the area where the “bio-noodles” would be.

Tory Larsen

Got it up and running!
Here is the current specs:
Red Sea Max 130
Upgraded single return pump
Chemi Pure Elite
Purigen
Mechanical filter
Hawaiian Black Live Sand
18lbs Live Rock

Only complaint I have at the moment is that the protein slimmer pump seems to be creating a lot of micro bubbles no matter how I adjust it. Any thoughts guys?

Attachments

• BEDB0956-D2E2-48D5-8E6D-C914C87A5184.jpeg
    BEDB0956-D2E2-48D5-8E6D-C914C87A5184.jpeg
    778 KB · Views: 11

discol76

Maybe an odd question, but I can put the cpe and purigen on the side of the return circulation pump correct? Replacing the area where the “bio-noodles” would be.

They normally go in were you would put the new media rack. Good luck with the new tank.