Getting ready to build stand w/ sump

Taking a long vacation in January to build a new stand. Been buying what I need. I have 1/2" sanded plywood and 2x4's, nice looking wood, should stain well. Got a 37 gal tub for the sump. A Dremmel diamond bit to cut the hole in the tank. Need to practice on a piece of glass to see how it will work/ I'm not sold on the over the top overflows, look like a nightmare waiting to happen.

Got a 700gph pump and planning out the return so I can improve the flow in the tank and eliminate the powerheads. A SWCD looks like a good idea, but I may incorporate it later. Still looking for a bulkhead fitting, will have to order it online as nobody around town has one.

The tricky part is the time I have the tank torn down to drill the glass, move the tank off the old stand and set it up on the new one. I have only 3 fish at this point but I don't want to lose any. Thought I'd use the tub for a temporary tank while I'm working on the tank, putting the fish, rock, skimmer, heater, etc in the tub.

I just got a taste of moving a tank. Moved a friend's 30 gal across town for him. Took about 5 hours and everyone's doing well. I've been holding off getting any more fish or getting corals period until after I do this and get it up and running right.

There's probably some things I haven't thought about, so help me out here. Thanks! in advance.

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
Best of luck! will be a nice upgrade for you, two things, dont forget the saftey equipment( 2 eyes,10 fingers, youll need them later) and when drilling the hole make sure its not an equal distance from a corner. Steve

Snelly40

wow, keep us updated. id love to build one instead of buying one from the LFS for wayyyyyyyyyyy too much $$$$$$

I've always been a DIY kind of guy. My bass and guitar speaker cabinets are DIY and work good. I will get some pics on this project. I can't wait to get started. BTW, I also believe in safety, I like picking and grinning too and it takes all ten.
Shoot, this whole saltwater tank business has been a DIY project. My wife's eating her words when I was given this tank. "Let's do saltwater" she said.

Five days and counting! Started clearing out the junk in my garage to make room. Bought the wood. Ordered some supplies from the good Drs (Foster and Smith), namely the bulkhead fitting. Got Photoshop reloaded on my 'puter so I can resize my pics. Found a better tub, it's clear, smaller and has smooth sides so it ought to be better to work with. About a 22 gallon. Need to stop at Home Depot and get some plumbing goodies. Thought about splitting the return, having the drain in the center of the back and the nozzles on either side. Anyway I'm getting excited. My fish may hate me for a few days, but I think they'll like it after I'm done. Then I can get some shrooms and polyps to get the reef started! Cool.

Saw dust is flying! Making a few adjustments here and there. Also going to order the Nova Extreme 48" T-5 lights! My fish will need sunglasses.

Last edited:
Letting the glue dry on the base. :hammerhea In the meantime, I got a Coralife digital timer to control the lights. The cheapie I got at WallyWorld didn't want to cut off the lights half the time. I'd get up and the algae was having a field day.
Side note: My Yellow Tang and Pygmy Angelfish are making short work of the hair algae in my tank. :clink: They also ate all the algae on the bottom. I feed them once a day. The bi-color pseudochromis is doing OK with that, too. He's a monster who likes to eat snails and anything else meaty in the tank.
They're looking at me like they know it's feeding time.

Anyway, I've hooked up another powerstrip for the skimmer and the powerheads, so I can cut them off at feeding time, or maintenance too. Got another one for the sump pump. They're cheaper and easier than hardwiring switches and outlets.

There will be pics once I get a little farther.

The tank as it is now. Note the algae, although most of the hair algae has been eaten by the Tang and Pseudochromis. Also the refugium on the side. All the junk is going in the sump.

Attachments

• 100_3538.jpg
    100_3538.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 171
  • 100_3539 resized.jpg
    100_3539 resized.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 169
  • 100_3542 resized.jpg
    100_3542 resized.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 162
Progress! Now I gotta build the doors and get a good piece for the top. Had to try out the sump and pump. went outside, filled it with water, emptied the sump in no time, Cool! Also ordered new lights, Nova Extreme HO T-5 w/ moonlights. Now I gotta get that reefer madness. Also a clean workbench is a sign that some doesn't know what to do with it.

Attachments

• 000_0038 resized 50.jpg
    000_0038 resized 50.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 109
  • 000_0040 resized 50.jpg
    000_0040 resized 50.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 109
  • 000_0042 resized 50.jpg
    000_0042 resized 50.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 109

kyle1284

Saw dust is flying! Making a few adjustments here and there. Also going to order the Nova Extreme 48" T-5 lights! My fish will need sunglasses.

i have that lighting and man o man I LOVE THEM and so do the zoos and xeina i have... i have herd stories of SPS thriving under t-5 system like ours... LPS should not be a problem nor softies... im fixin to start expermenting in a month... cant wait! Everything is looking good! DIY karma for You!