Getting carpets cleaned?

NaH2O

Contributing Member
Just wondered if there is any way to protect your tank if you are getting your carpets cleaned. I'm going to have them cleaned again before the tank is put into it's final place, but wasn't sure if I'd be able to have them cleaned again once the tank is up and running. Please let me know if there is a way I will be able to protect the tank.

NaH2O

Contributing Member
Curt, I was thinking of covering it somehow and having an emergency water change ready if needed. I just wondered if there is anyone that does anything to their tanks or even worries about getting their carpets cleaned.

Scooterman

Heck I shampooed mine, never thought about it, just don't go spraying stuff into the air or directly on the tank!

NaH2O

Contributing Member
Originally posted by Scooterman
just don't go spraying stuff into the air or directly on the tank!

LOL! I would hope the carpet cleaner wouldn't do this, but I guess I would have to watch...:evileye:

jks1

Ive had mine professionally shampooed with the big machine thing with the tank in the room, and had no problems. They didnt use any airborne agents though except the pretreat chemical which i told him to keep the nozzle close to the carpet,

mwrager

I shampoo mine 2 a year never thought about it, just don't go spraying stuff into the air or directly on the tank!

:bigblue:

mick77

We have one of those big truck mount units at work, and I've cleaned my carpets at least three times in the last 2 years and have had no ill effects. If you are still worried, get a matress slip cover (should be clear thin plastic) and drape this over your tank. This also works if you plan on doing any painting. You can find these at any U-Haul, Wal-Mart, or K-Mart.

DocG

I've had my carpets professionally cleaned in my office several times since I had the tank. Never had a problem. It was through a truck mounted unit. I also had the carpets cleaned in my home around the tank and all was well.

:D

Alf

I own a professional CC company. My company does many homes and offices with Tanks. Never had a problem Yet.:)

NaH2O

Contributing Member
The question seemed silly when I first posted....I just remember reading numerous threads where there had been mysterious fish deaths, and a common question is if the carpets had been cleaned recently. I routinely have mine cleaned twice a year, and just wanted to be sure.

Alf

Originally posted by NaH2O
The question seemed silly when I first posted....I just remember reading numerous threads where there had been mysterious fish deaths, and a common question is if the carpets had been cleaned recently. I routinely have mine cleaned twice a year, and just wanted to be sure.

No silly questions here, only the quest for knowlage!!!
The only dumb or silly question is the one not asked!!;)

Curtswearing

BTW----If you have a mantis species tank, I would be real careful with what the carpet cleaners put down. They are extra-sensitive to various household items.

Mantis shrimp sensitivity to various household solvents

I too have heard of people who swear that the only thing that happened the day they had problems in the tank was when they cleaned their carpets. However, I think this is probably user error. It could very well be that they weren't using a professional and they didn't know what they were doing. Or they might have been the typical American who says if 1 cup of this cleaning fluid is good on this rental cleaner, 5 cups will be five times better!!!

DaveK

Just wondered if there is any way to protect your tank if you are getting your carpets cleaned. I'm going to have them cleaned again before the tank is put into it's final place, but wasn't sure if I'd be able to have them cleaned again once the tank is up and running. Please let me know if there is a way I will be able to protect the tank.

The problem to also consider is what you are going to do when you have a major water spill or leak from the system. I recommend that you plan for this if at all possible. A wet/dey vac is not a bad thing to have for stuff like this.

Also, once a reef is in place, is very difficult to move, if you ever wish to replace the carpet. You may want something else under the reef aquarium area.

NaH2O

Contributing Member
DaveK, thanks for the reply....we do have a wet/dry vac, and I will have access to it if needed. Also, we considered taking up the carpet from under the tank and decided against it. The house is 2 years old, so we probably won't replace the carpet for awhile, and hopefully by then I'll be upgrading to a larger tank...:D

DaveK

... The house is 2 years old, so we probably won't replace the carpet for awhile, and hopefully by then I'll be upgrading to a larger tank...:D

Yes, you do have to keep your priorities in straight! (smile) Unless you have some sort of unusual or exotic carpet, few people will notice it at all, but even non-reef aquarium people ohh and ahh when they see a reef aquarium!