Getting back into reefkeeping

cbuttiker

Hi Everyone -

I just found this wonderful resource while researching the purchasing of a RSM 130d.
I have been out of the hobby for about 6 years and am ready to "dive" back in.

I've read many of your posts about RSM setups and am truly impressed with the level of success that you all have in maintaining such beautiful scapes!

Be prepared for the onslaught of questions as I am going to place my order for the RSM 130d tomorrow!

Take care all~

Curt B.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

Start a new tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along - we love pics :)

Congrats on the new RSM 130D

ReefingFun

:welcomera!

Think most (if not all) enjoy answering questions so that won't be a problem here at RS :)
You know what we love even more? Pics! Don't be a stranger and show us your brand new 130! (damn nano beat me too it! :D)

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Hello :wave: & WELCOME to Reef Sanctuary....Always good to have another RSM owner!
I'm excited for you & look forward to seeing what you do with your New RSM.
There's LOTS of help from nice, supportive members here. I hope you feel right at home & ask all the questions you have.
Keep us posted with future UPdates :biker

cbuttiker

Thanks Nano and ReefingFun!

Real quick question/advice:

I am planning on using live sand/ live rock (TBS is what I used 10 years ago in my 100g reef) and wanted you opinion on how much (lbs) of each to order.
Is the recommendation the same now as in the past: 1.5 to 2 lbs per gallon?

Thanks folks!

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Welcome!

Take a look into using dry rock and seeding it with a few small pieces of live rock, you can save some money and make some great scapes. 1.5-2 lbs per gallon is a pretty good rule.

cbuttiker

Thanks DianaKay - I see you filled your tank in January.
Are you pleased with the RSM and the progress with your livestock?

ReefingFun

Can only agree with PSU4ME. When I first had my RSM 250, I went all live rock and had bad luck with it. It all bleached and just took longer to cycle + had some really bad hitchhikers. In the end we ended up throwing it and starting all over again.
Now I have around 25-30 lb of LR and the rest is dry rock. I really never could been happier as it took away my aquascaping nightmare. I found it easier to take some nice dry rock pieces or premade shapes(which are a tad more expensive).

Good luck!

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
I don't think live sand is worth it IMO. Get the dry stuff (rinse well) and try to get a cup of live sand from your LFS or a buddy. The "live" part of live sand from a bag isn't very beneficial.

I used about 1lb per gallon to give me a 3 inch sand bed. Keep it under 1 inch or over 3...... In between can be problematic.

I used tropic Eden sand from premium aquatics..... I reall liked it

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Thanks DianaKay - I see you filled your tank in January.
Are you pleased with the RSM and the progress with your livestock?
I L:heart:VE my RSM set up :) I didn't much care for the wait in getting to stock it, but hanging out on this forum & talking out the issues helped me SO MUCH to have the patience I needed.
It's kinda like a roller coaster ride that keeps you awake at night in anticipation.
Just try to go do it right (the fish store is really NOT the best place to get advice!) and ask ???s HERE. We won't try to sell you anything but success here. Keep that in mind & you'll save money & your tank will be a healthier place for your fish. :D