General par setting for new led light?

cracker

I'm borrowing my local club's light meter. I'll have it this weekend. What do I want at, the bottom. mid way and several inches under the surface ? Say I want to keep a clam someday. I have them turned up about 1/2 now. I just want a general idea so I have a base line I can go from there. Thanks.

cracker

So after some more very boring research. I got between 100 and 200 micro moles something or other term at the sand bed . Any OP'S

Pat24601

So after some more very boring research. I got between 100 and 200 micro moles something or other term at the sand bed . Any OP'S

I have no idea. I thought goma did a post on this that was pretty good back when he was here, but I couldn't find it just now.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
If you're just starting out I'd aim for 80-100 at the bottom..... There is no use aiming for a mid or high range because they are dependent on each other. I think 150 on the sand bed is good at full strength but transition them slowly. How deep is the tank?

cracker

The tank is tall at to 29 inches from top of the tank to the sand bed. I started pretty low then slowly turned them up a little I guess the lights are at 60 to 70 %. What the par is at the bottom, I have no idea. I need to know what it is for a base line . Too high or low ??? Thanks a lot for Your insight.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
The other adjustment you should consider is height about the waterline. You can get more spread the higher you go which I think is a good thing and then adjust intensity to get your sand par levels. Depending on the light, if they are puck versions (radion for example) you can get a string spotligh effect righ under the puck which most corals won't care for. My huge Rommel colony loved it but all other corals didn't.

cracker

The lights are a good 11 inches above the water surface. I set them this high to get better spread and avoid shadows. I haven't experimented with lowering them at this point. I have Mars Aqua lights. All 6 of them! My tank is 8' by 2' by 30"

cracker

I wasn't able to get the meter last weekend. I have to wait !The guy who gave me the lobster got it 1st! :crying:

cracker

Hello ! I'm hung up on how to properly adjust multiple colors on a new/used led light. I recently purchased this led fixture for my 75. I got it from a member of my local club who had it over a 90 gl tank. It is a Rapid led kit. This light has white with lenses , red & green together on one adjust , blue and uv's . I can adjust all the differing color lights except the uv's which are either on all the time or just at night for moon lighting.
I want to promote healthy growing corals which are a collection of varying types. I know I don't want them real blue like at the LFS I understand it's not good for long term. Hope this question isn't too confusing . What percentage of each color do I want? :confused3::confused3:

DaveK

Hello ! I'm hung up on how to properly adjust multiple colors on a new/used led light. ... What percentage of each color do I want? :confused3::confused3:...

Don't over think this. Put the light on the tank. Turn it on, and adjust the colors until you like how the tank looks. If you have a par meter you can use that to make sure your not going too high or too low, but it's really optional.

As you run the tank you can make adjustments to fine tune it. For example if you get a lot of algae you can cut it back, especially in the red color.

Remember if it's not on the tank and working, it's not doing you any good at all.

Lighting is about the most subjective and debated topic in reef keeping. You won't go too far wrong no matter what you do. Don't try and get "everything perfect". Since each tank is different, the best lighting will be slightly different and your not going to be able to determine it all up front.

cracker

Thank's Dave, I am overthinking this and your right about differing OP's all over the place. I do have access to a meter I'l just make sure I'm not blasting everyone with too much.