free banded serpent star

nunlef

Hi, I really want to add more fish to my tank, but our star ate our last addition. He would be great for tanks with larger or faster swimming fish (our mandarin was a casualty).
He is about 10" from arm tip to arm tip, central disk is about 1.5" maybe close to 2". I call him "he" because my daughter decided it was a "he" (she's 5 and has no formal training).
Anyway, the arms gross me out, so anyone able to come here and catch him is welcome to him.
We have had him since March 3rd and he eats well - maybe too well, and is active day or night.

oh, and I'm located about 30 minutes from hagerstown, MD, Frederick, MD, or Leesburg VA and Winchester, VA
Thanks,
Heather

Last edited:

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Heather do you have any pics of your "hunter"? Even better any pics of it actively hunting and or eating a fish?

What color is it?

nunlef

I just spent the last 20min trying to get a video of that stinker. Unfortunately it is brine shrimp night, and he doesn't really go crazy for those.

I'll pick up people shrimp tomorrow, he'll come out of his hidey hole for that. he only eats like mad about once or twice a week, and it's only been 2 days. We are positive he ate the mandarin because a few hours after it went missing I noticed his body had tripled in size and he hid for a week. I'm so positive, I wouldn't give him to anyone that had those kinds of "perching" fish in their tank.

it's mostly a grayish tan with black/brown bands around his arms, the "body" is a solid grayish tan.

nunlef

ok I can't figure out how to post an embedded video, so this is the url for my guy eating.

It's been a busy week, so i didn't get to the store to buy a shrimp, he's just eating a frozen carnivore blend.

And, the music may not be appopriate for children (mature theme), I'ts my husband's song, but I felt it was a good background for this star fish.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsG3vErLjig

and please ignore my cat in the background, i stepped on her because I wasn't paying attention to the floor.

AND, I know I have a cyano issue, I'm working on it

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Heather we can't view your video. We get
"This video is private. "

Exactly HOW "mature" is that video and music :LOL:

:)

Clownfish518

Razorback
PREMIUM
Wondering if the mandarin wasn't ill. They have a toxic slime; they are brightly colored to advertise that they are poisonous to eat. Not many things predate on them.

If I was around your area would help you out. Sorry

nunlef

now my husband is laughing at me.

Ok, I fixed the setting, it should be viewable. I'm hours old at YouTube, so please forgive me.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
For the record I LOVE that song :) I've let your video play several times over this morning and I'm jamming here in my office :)

nunlef

the song is completely appropriate for that guy, but I think it's an unedited version, and I hate when people use graphic songs, and don't warn you first.

anyway, I'm going to get a watchman goby, and see if it lives. If not, this guy is being sent to a farm somewhere.