fragging a torch....

aquaman3680

Torches are a branching coral so it makes them much easier to cut! Basically get some bone cutters, or a pair of pliers works too, find a spot that has a clear cut with the number of heads you want your frag to be. Then just cut it and mount it to something. They are pretty easy, just make sure you do not cut a single head in half as the frag will likely die.

Matt

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Wear eye and hand protection. The stoney stalk is brittle and can (read WILL) cut/scrape bare skin.

Also one thing I like to tell people is when you're working with "Euphies" don't suddenly yank them out of the tank. If they are extended their tentacles are filled with water and they could pull apart or rip if their inflated flesh rubs against anything. I like to "agitate" them and coax them into retracting as much as possible before I remove them from the tank.

rmlevasseur

I just fragged my huge torch yesterday. I put a flathead screwdriver between the heads and lightly tapped with a hammer . Worked great.

reefer4200

BigAl awesome point with retracting them first. i wouldnt have even thought of that! i knew i made this post for a reason! karma karma karma!!!! :)

RML thats usually what i do when i frag certain corals or break rocks. Saves me from pulling out the dremel! PIA

jaybroreef

WHAT MITE HELP TOO IS TO REMOVE IT FROM THE TANK UPSIDE DOWN,BIG ALS ADVICE IS RIGHT ON THE MONEY, THAT TISSUE WILL TEAR VERY EASILY!!!!!:tongue:

TenUhC

Do you have to split at the branch or how far under the head is safe. Mine is too tall. I have a new torch with 7 heads. 2 branches with 2 heads a piece and 1 with 3 heads. 1 of the double heads was dead when I bought it. They seem to have a collar that is a different color than the stalk. Please help. Also have an out of control frogspawn with 16 + heads. I only have a 34 gallon Cube.