Frag Tank! 40G Breeder Build

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Some of the tiered racks are the same amount of usable space but the ones that overlap have a much greater area :)

Bearjohnson

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
Here is the tank in the rough early stages. Don't mind the mess as I still have a lot to do before I can be proud!

I also have a laundry list of goodies ordered and about to be ordered from various sites:)

As always, love it, hate it, comment and suggest.

Choff

Sweet!

BTW I think I know what I'm doing for my frag racks. Currently I built a 3 step staircase out of black egg crate. Y issue with it is its impossible to clean the bottom without taking out the entire structure. So I bought magnets and in going to epoxy them single sheets of black egg crate so there will just be first shelves. In going to use clear acrylic rods to support the lower 2 shelves since they will be quite wide and they won't be fully tank width so I cant use magnets to support from the side. This is going to give a much cleaner look to the tank and will make vacuuming the bottom much easier.

...stupid auto correct

Bearjohnson

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
TYTY!

I'd love to see a sketch or picture so I can fully get the layout?

I was thinking of 3 separate acrylic pieces for the entire first rack. Something like one larger piece for the center and two smaller pieces for either end. This way if I need to remove any or all, it would be easy to pul them out.

I'm also thinking of making this the home of my two clowns that haven't been doing much in the breeding department. I don't think I want to maintain three tanks TBH. Any thoughts on the clown idea?

Choff

That's a good idea too. My ft is not a display and sits in my basement fish room so I am more concerned with function over form. You need both.

Clowns would be OK. I would also suggest a small bristle tooth. I have one and he has done a great job taking care of the algae. Many people also toss in a 6 line for parasites, but im not sure if I will get one or not.

Magnets arrive early next week. I'll get picts up as soon as it's built. It's just 3 horizontal rectangles ask the same length, but progressively wider the lower the shelf.

...stupid auto correct

rhogeo

One advantage of a staircase design is keeping frag from touching one another where on a flat rack they may.

Choff

I'll agree with that and raise you that they also can't fall behind either, but having one now for 6 months and having to remove the entire rack to clean it is a deal breaker for me.

Another idea is 2 side by side staircases so you could xfer frags to one while you remove the other for cleaning. This is my plan B if the magnet idea does not work out.

...stupid auto correct

Bearjohnson

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
My brandy new heat source for the tank and I have to say so far I'm pretty impressed with the design and ease. In fact I like them so much I'm ordering two for the 125!

Oxylebius

Here is the tank in the rough early stages. Don't mind the mess as I still have a lot to do before I can be proud!

I also have a laundry list of goodies ordered and about to be ordered from various sites:)

As always, love it, hate it, comment and suggest.

Do you have any concerns with the light so close to the artwork on the wall? Will the lights bleach out the art work over time?

Bearjohnson

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
Interesting.....I never even gave that a second thought. I don't know what would happen to them over time but it certainly is a valid concern. I suppose I'll just re-locate them to a different spot on the wall just in case.

Thanks for even mentioning it!

Choff

If you are putting fish in I might or run a small seachem matrix reactor.

...stupid auto correct

Bearjohnson

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
You know....I don't want to rush and put too many fish and inverts in all at once...LOL

Bearjohnson

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
I don't think so but, he's cool with that cuz I told him to move around REAL slow to conserve energy until something builds up on the glass for him to eat.