Fluval reef led light lps corals

MarineCorp

Hi all,

Setting up my lighting ready for lps corals. Can anyone give me advice on my schedule and light settings. This is what I have done with the research I have read. Any opinions?
f35fb198c0c2cc1e31421a7ac5e340aa.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pancho75

Hello, my lights are different but I can tell you I use a 12 hours photo period with 4 hours ramp-up and ramp-down. Make sure you are setting up the lights on 15,000 K if you are only focus on LPS.

Here are the settings for my AI 26 HDs:
1fd7a4c54a806fe51c5fa33d0b29ebb4.jpg

DaveK

Lighting comes down to personal preference in many cases. While I can't call either of the above settings wrong, my preferences would be to use much less cyan, blue and purple, and use a lot more cool while, and a bit more pink. Using all that blue tends to give the tank a very artificial look. I know it's popular, because many want their corals to "glow in the dark". I want my tank to look a bit more natural.

I also tend to use a fairly short ramp up and down time, only an hour. Not how quickly natural daylight goes from dark to full bright. Underwater, in the ocean, the effect can be even more dramatic, deu to the refractive index of water verses air.

MarineCorp

Hello, my lights are different but I can tell you I use a 12 hours photo period with 4 hours ramp-up and ramp-down. Make sure you are setting up the lights on 15,000 K if you are only focus on LPS.

Here are the settings for my AI 26 HDs:
1fd7a4c54a806fe51c5fa33d0b29ebb4.jpg

Might be a stupid question but how do I set up to 15,000 K?

Might be a stupid question but how do I set up to 15,000 K? I will need a reader to do that?

MarineCorp

Lighting comes down to personal preference in many cases. While I can't call either of the above settings wrong, my preferences would be to use much less cyan, blue and purple, and use a lot more cool while, and a bit more pink. Using all that blue tends to give the tank a very artificial look. I know it's popular, because many want their corals to "glow in the dark". I want my tank to look a bit more natural.

I also tend to use a fairly short ramp up and down time, only an hour. Not how quickly natural daylight goes from dark to full bright. Underwater, in the ocean, the effect can be even more dramatic, deu to the refractive index of water verses air.

Thanks mate, I found the cool white is making my elegance close up that’s why I have gone more for the blues and purples, which seems to be having a positive affect on the elegance

Pancho75

Might be a stupid question but how do I set up to 15,000 K? I will need a reader to do that?

No problem, we are all here to learn from each other (people here have helped me a lot) 15,000 K is the temperature in Kelvin scale. LPS thrive around 15,000 K while SPS like higher towards 16,500 K some people even use 18,000 K for SPS. Check your lights app or director to check if it gives you the access to adjust the Kelvin degrees in your lights.

As DaveK mentions too much blue gives a strange glow to the tank but that depends on your preferences. I know also greens and reds tend to favor algae growth.

DaveK

You have quite a bit of latitude here. Roughly, 20,000K is extremely blue, 10,000K is slightly blue almost white. You can split the difference to get close to 15,000K, My tank is roughly about 12,000K.

You can go out and get a meter to dial things in exactly, but that's a very expensive item for something you'll only use once and awhile.

When keeping corals, the first thing to look at is are the corals healthy and extending, and also growing. If you have that, make any other changes very carefully. More than a few people have really messed things up by changing things to get it "just right"