Flame Angel

Hi guys,

I have a 40 gallon and was thinking of getting a Flame Angel, I have been doing a bit of reading up then and keep getting conflicting information as to what tank size to have. Some people are say 125 gallon and others are saying they can be happy in a 30 gallon. Has anyone got kept one of these fish and what are your suggestions as to tank size?

kyle4201

Have 1 now. He is in my 40g QT with 6 other like sized fish and he is fine. He was also fine in my 90g. He has been in qt (killing ick in my MT) for 2 weeks and will be there for about 2 more months. I have no problem with him being in there and he is happy. This is my 2nd one and Ill always have 1. :)

roearth

I use http://www.liveaquaria.com as a guide. I wouldn't put one in a 40gallon as it states a minimum of 70gallons.if a fish gets stressed it can cause a disease outbreak and you can loose everything. I wouldn't gabble after investing so much money.hope this helps!

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
Dwarf angels aren't open water swimmers so a large tank isn't necessary, anything over 40 gal tanks would do with plenty of mature LR and they're good.

Mike Johnson

I agree ^^. Mature live rock being the key point here. They are very active fish. To get one acclimated they need places to hide and plenty of bugs to eat.

When you are talking about a mature tank what sort of age are you thinking? Mine has been running now for 4 months now. There is 20kg of live rock in there and the water parameters seem very stable.

Tokalosh

If I remember correctly I got one for my tank at around 4 months. I made sure that it had lots of hiding places and was well fed.
It's one of my favorite fish, it hangs round rocks for the majority of the time looking for that unsuspecting bug.

Tok

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
When you are talking about a mature tank what sort of age are you thinking? Mine has been running now for 4 months now. There is 20kg of live rock in there and the water parameters seem very stable.

Micro algae {not to be mistaken with macro algae} is essential to a Dwarfs diet and in many cases is all they eat until they adjust to prepared foods so having rock that's been in the tank for a while is important, usually I recomend at least six months. Also some of the Dwarf species are very sensitive fish and don't do very well in newer tanks so keep that in mind when you make a selection.

Putt

I have had one for about five months. It's a great fish to have any reef aquarium. He/she would not eat any type food I offered (scary) moved to DT, immediately started picking all over live rock, lotsa pretty green poop, but still refusing all other food. Finally on the eleventh day it became a pig on anything I drop in the tank. Always on the move, a great fish to have.

Putt

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
Are they the sort of fish to become easily stressed and cause issues in the tank with things like ICH?

If you Quarantine your fish and treat them when necessary ICH will never be a problem no matter how sensitive the fish is.
Some Dwarfs like the Coral Beauty are very hardy and do very well in captivity some like the Bi-color are much more sensitive and have a poor track record in captivity either because of poor collection/shipping practices, aggressive tank mates or because of poor water quality, so it really depends on the spe.

When you say QT then I take it you are talking after purchasing them? You also mentioned treating them would you be doing this on an in going basis or only if they get ill? I'm sorry if I keep asking questions but I'm am quite new to this and like to find out as much as I can.

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
When you say QT then I take it you are talking after purchasing them? You also mentioned treating them would you be doing this on an in going basis or only if they get ill? I'm sorry if I keep asking questions but I'm am quite new to this and like to find out as much as I can.

Yes before adding any fish to the tank Quarantine them. I recommend treating them even if they don't who any signs of disease because they can carry the parasite without any visible signs and once in the tank as long as the hosts are there the parasite will be there. This is controversial so I recommend you read all the info posted by Leebca in the fish disease sub-forum before making a decision.

Thank you for all your advise, may leave the tank for another 3 or 4 months before I really consider a purchase. Really appreciate all you advise.

DaveK

Personally, I'd want something larger, about 60 or 70 gal for a flame angel. They like a lot of rock and hiding places. Here's the thing. You might get away with a 40 gal tank, but it wouldn't be ideal for the fish.

To be fair, a lot of this will depends upon with other fish you have in the tank. Large or aggressive fish might be too much for a flame angel.

magnum

I had a flame angle in a red sea max 34 gal tank with out a problem other then he killed most of my coral. They are not all reef safe.