Fish Stocking Plans?

Tosh_Auer

Ok well my tank has cycled and have had my Clean up crew in there for a while adn have some money again. So i am looking at adding the first of my fish.

I am looking at getting:

2x Flase Percs
1x Hippo Tang
1xflame angel
1x hi fin goby
1x lawnmower blenny

and one of the follow depending on your thought

1x coral beauty (im worried about issuses with the Flame)
1xyellow tang (im worried about its behaviour with all the others)

Any help and an order as to which should go in first would help.

Was thinking the 2 percs and possibly the hi fin or the lawnmower first.

Any ideas are greatly appreciated as usuall.

Tosh

Id say the blenny or goby first, then percs, then angel so far i have had no problems with my coral b, he nips at the rocks/sponges and the tang last, if u get the blenny make sure he is eating prpaired food. HTH

Glenn

Maxx

Tosh,
The most aggressive fish for the set up you have planned are going to be the two angels and the yellow tang.
Personally, I'd go w/ the two angels instead of the yellow tang, but thats just cause I'm not real fond of yellow tangs....
If you decide to go w/ both angels there are two ways you can go about doing it......get two small angels and place them in the tank simultaneously: This allows them to be in a new environment where neither of them have territory picked out so they will have to adapt to each others presence while dealing with the new surroundings,
Or: Buy one small angel and add it to the set up...wait a few months, and add a larger angel, and rearrange the rockwork (territory) while the new angel is acclimating....
There is still a chance that the two angels wont coexist peacefully w/ each other.....in that case, you can remove one, and safely add the yellow tang...
But I've had good results keeping angels together in smaller tanks than your 90 in the past doing what I mentioned above.....
Good luck,
Nick

BoomerD

Tosh, I like your initial stocking list:
2x Flase Percs
1x Hippo Tang
1xflame angel
1x hi fin goby
1x lawnmower blenny

If you want to add to the mix, I'd expect that flame angel to beat the crap out of the coral beauty...even added together, in a 90, I think there'd be trouble. I agree with Maxx that the yellow could also be a problem. MIGHT work, but, they can be agressive. The lawn mower blenny should not be added until you start getting algae growing on the rocks, since it's hit & miss getting them to eat prepared foods. More of them die from starvation in new tanks than from any other reason.

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
Originally posted by Tosh_Auer
I am looking at getting:

2x Flase Percs
1x Hippo Tang
1xflame angel
1x hi fin goby
1x lawnmower blenny

and one of the follow depending on your thought

1x coral beauty (im worried about issuses with the Flame)
1xyellow tang (im worried about its behaviour with all the others)

1.} hi fin goby
2.}lawnmower blenny
3.}false percs
4.}flame angel. If you want to add both dwarfs then they should be added simultaneously you should have a lot of rock with plenty of hiding spots and you really should get them small as it will increase the chance of them co-existing then if they're adults.
5.}hippo tang. if you want the hippo and yellow then I would also add them at the same time. HTH

Tosh_Auer

OK well ive decided to go with the yellow and the hippo and get them both very small. Im wondering if im at my max bioload and just general comfort level for the fish with all those guys or can i fit another small fish in there?

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
Im wondering if im at my max bioload and just general comfort level for the fish with all those guys or can i fit another small fish in there?

I would say you're maxed unless you have excellent filtration. The general rule is 1" of adult size fish per 5 gal of water. If you do decide to get another fish then I would look for one that swims at a different level in the tank , maybe another goby they like to hang around the substrate.

Re: Re: Fish Stocking Plans?

Originally posted by cheeks69

hippo tang. if you want the hippo and yellow then I would also add them at the same time. HTH [/B]

i agree,
If you add both tangs at once you shouldn’t have a problem. I have 5 tangs in a tank with so signs of aggression towards each other.

Last edited:

Maxx

Hippo's and Yellows are different families of tangs and in my experiance that cuts down on alot of issues when mixing angels or tangs. Personally, I think mixing the two angels would be more difficult simply because of the fact that they are both dwarf angels.
Now mixing a yellow and a scopas, purple, or a black would be difficult, but I dont think that there would be much aggression between a hippo and a yellow.
Nick

Tosh_Auer

OK well tomorow is the day for the two False Percs.

But in the mean time ive been thinking about my tank a bit and although i like Yellow Tangs. having two "Clowns" the Hippo and a yellow is just getting a little bit too "Finding Nemo" style for my liking. So i was thinking are there any good Butterfly fish that are safe in a reef tank that i could add instead of the yellow? or even another decent sized fish that i hadn't thought about yet?

TIA

Tosh

Tosh_Auer

Also are there any real issuse with any of the fish ive mentioned being known for having probablems with anything? Feeding, ich, anything?

Maxx

....is just getting a little bit too "Finding Nemo" style for my liking.
LOL,
I get ya Tosh, but ya know what, I f ya dig the fish despite the movie, then get the fish.....the fact that Disney went ahead and made a movie showing all of those fish just means that your friends who dont know anything about fish will be able to at least recognize them somewhat......
As far as reef safe butterflies.....well, probably the prettiest is the Copperband, (which can be found locally for you), but keep in mind that it will eat featherdusters and is suspected of nipping at anemones that arent hosting clowns.....
Nick

Maxx

Muelleri-11-03.jpg

This is a pic of 64Ivy's Muellers copperband, which lives in Australia, so I doubt you'll have trouble getting one, like I would here in the US.....

Here is a link to the thread where he talks about getting to eat in his tank.....
HTH,
Nick

BoomerD

I've been a suscriber to the Marine Center's mailing list for quite a while...Muelleri on this last one...$129.00 for a medium size. My personal favorite of the copperband species...

hodgefixer

Just to chime in with my experience. I tried to add a Flame Angel and a Coral Beauty at the same time in 125 gallon. The Flame Angel was intolerate of the Coral Beauty despite being the same size and plenty of rock work. I eventully had to remove the Coral Beauty. He was just hiding beside the over flow box all the time, too scared to move.

fidojoe

Fish Addict
I recently got a copperband, and he's been eating frozen mysis, but not till he cleared my tank of feather dusters, and thankfully aptasia. He hasn't touched anything else yet, including my xenia, which I think he's actually afraid of:D

As far as the angels, they'll probably fight to the death if you can't get one out first. The tangs would most likely be just fine.