fish in my salt water pool

kyle4201

B4 every1 flips out thinking im putting tank type fish in my pool im not. Also if your just going to chastise me please dont. Im just asking if any 1 has heard of any fish that can live in a salt water pool. I am also a C.P.O. so the proper levels are maintained. I was just wondering. :)

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
If you really want something to pee & poop in your pool...just let your local friends know :laughroll

Oxylebius

I have not heard of anyone putting fish in saltwater pools. I'm sure someone has tried it and has a vid of it you can find.....I'm sure the fish didn't live long.

As far as I know saltwater pools aren't chlorine free, they still use chlorine for sanitation reasons :ponder2:

This is one of many issues as well, wrong salt content, etc.

Now, you can turn a pool into a tank I suppose.... a large tank w/expensive water changes

kyle4201

mama D, lol. there are two kinds of people in this world. The kind that pees in pools and the kind that lies about peeing in pools Lol. and to everyone else who's reading this, it does not necessarily, will probably will not be a saltwater fish. It could be a brackish fish or a coy or whatever. this is my only fish consult so I thought I would ask here first. :)

Newjack

ive heard of someone keeping sharks in a saltwater pool but it was dedicated for it. Not for swimming.

Steve L

Unless you're constantly flushing the pool with clean ocean water (which I guess means that you'd need to live in a water front home) I don't think it's possible. Saltwater pools still use chlorine, although the introduction to the water is different from a traditional pool, it's still there. Whatever critters you add would need to be able to live in a vitually sterile environment compared to their natural environment.

It's a cool idea, but I think you would need a lot of expensive equipment to actually do it.

kyle4201

Thx guys. I switched to salt 3 weeks ago & have a cool water skimmer bug since week 1.. hes doing great. Just thought maybe there was a hardy fish to put in. Not huge or pretty, just like a 6 inch fish to have. P.s. salt water pools r so low on salt (3000) and the generator makes chlorine from salt that then turns back to salt, im very thorough. Was just wondering.

mtk

If i understand saltwater pools correctly this is how it work's. First you add the salt to your water. Then the salt generator (sorry if thats not the correct term) introduces a electrical current and the byproduct is chlorine. The reason people enjoy saltwater pools is the minerals in the water help your skin from drying out. I can be completely wrong but thats my understanding of it. My personal opinion is most fish would not live a healthy life in our salt water pool's

Akshay

Hmmm.... doesn't NaCl naturally dissociate in water to form free Na and Cl ions anyways! Whats the need to pass a current? And isn't passing electricity thru water called electrolysis where u get H & O2? Now I am confused...

Kyle, why not run the pool like a tank, instead of trying to make a tank out of a sw pool? You know all the specs of aquarium water, so run it at that and you could always add one of those massive fish farm/pond skimmers for filteration... and instead of chlorination use RO & Ozone for sterlization. With such a huge water body and a relatively low bio load you should be able to sustain the show & swim with your fish.

Oxylebius

Thx guys. I switched to salt 3 weeks ago & have a cool water skimmer bug since week 1.. hes doing great. Just thought maybe there was a hardy fish to put in.

Really, a bug?
Not sure I'm down swimming in a pool w/a bug that is purposely supposed to be in their. What if you surface from being underwater and find that bug in your face?

kyle4201

the bug runs from us. And every, wow,, just wanted a fish in the pool. Thx though. I knew you all would help. :)