Fish food

pgrtgunner

Hi folks

If you have a few or many omnivores in your tank (s), I have a great way to feed them nutrients they love that are
in your kitchen.

I have used this make it yourself SW fish food for years. You can get the ingredients from your local
grocery store. But, you have to know how to present it to your babies.

Any takers to save money??

Mark :yummy:

pgrtgunner

Okay, let's get started.

It will depend on how much you want to make. You'll need;

Fresh Broccoli (Just the flowerets) I remove all of the leaves and knots from the rest and chop it pretty small and use them too).
Frozen green peas (defrost them of course)
Frozen carrots or frozen peas and carrots, it's up to you. Any combination will do.
Canned or frozen corn, not as much corn as the other ingredients.
A box of gelatin, inside the gelatin are 4 envelopes. I use one envelope for a small batch.

Chop up the broccoli, throw into the blender, along with all the rest. Do not put the gelatin in yet.
Now, while you are cooking the gelatin according to the directions on the box, blend all of the other ingredients. It doesn't need to be
pureed, I use the chop setting down to small chunks (real small chunks)

Pour all of it in a big bowl, enough to fit it all, plus the gelatin.
Once the gelatin is done, pour half in, stir at least 30 strokes. Then put the rest in and stir.

When everything is in the bowl and mixed real good, I pour it in a shallow cookie sheet/pan. It's about a 1/2" tall.
Next put it into the freezer until frozen.
Once frozen you can either break it up with your hands or cut it up like a cake.

And voilà, drop some into the tank an watch it disappear. :fishy2:

THE END

Snid

Awesome! Some of those ingredients can come right out of my wife's garden. I will have to try this out soon. Thanks!

reefer gladness

FWIW, gelatin is derived from collagen (mostly cowhides, pigskin and bones) - and collagen is a protein. So using the gelatin is also making the veggy preparation a protein stew.

There may actually be some benefit to this if the proteins can be absorbed into the veggy material but I'd still be concerned about feeding my tank a protein stew that's going to encourage algae growth.

pgrtgunner

Feel better now Dr. OZ/Reefer Gladness?

Any natural light will stimulate algae growth, so close all of your curtains and windows.
So, do you think gelatin is so bad now?

And why would you entrap an octopus in your aquarium when they are the greatest escape artists?
That is animal cruelty to the nth degree.

Last edited:

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
hope that post ^ is not to start up "anything..." We leave the flames to the "other" reefing forums, it's what makes Reef Sanctuary Special and a real
Sanctuary of reefing forums!

Expressing opinions is welcomed

reefer gladness

Feel better now Dr. OZ/Reefer Gladness?

Any natural light will stimulate algae growth, so close all of your curtains and windows.
So, do you think gelatin is so bad now?

And why would you entrap an octopus in your aquarium when they are the greatest escape artists?
That is animal cruelty to the nth degree.

Okay - I'll bite. ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT!?!? Natural light?? Octopus??

Seriously... !

DaveK

Fresh Broccoli (Just the flowerets) I remove all of the leaves and knots from the rest and chop it pretty small and use them too).
Frozen green peas (defrost them of course)
Frozen carrots or frozen peas and carrots, it's up to you. Any combination will do.
Canned or frozen corn, not as much corn as the other ingredients.
A box of gelatin, inside the gelatin are 4 envelopes. I use one envelope for a small batch.

Interesting formula. I notice that almost all the ingredients are vegetables in one form or another. Most of the other DIY fish food recipes I've seen or used contain a lot of fresh fish and/or shellfish. I was wondering why yours doesn't contain any. I was also wondering what else you fed, since this formula seems a bit incomplete for many fish. Please explain. Thanks.

pgrtgunner

The food is not meant for carnivores, it's meant for omnivores, that's why no meat.
If you want to feed the predators, put some shrimp or beef hearts into the recipe. :square: