FIRE!!! Yikes!!!

Curtswearing

Hmmm. I don't know. Interesting thought though.

We had quite a few discussions about cheap powerstrips at SEASL's frag swap today. There's a good chance that I had something called an arcing fault.

In addition, we discussed that on el-cheapo powerstrips, there are three common bars that connect each outlet. On the good ones, each individual outlet is individually wired. I can't remember why this made a difference but it apparently does.

As you can see from the pictures, they were right. The cheap one was just 3 little strips connecting all of the outlets. On the new one, they are using actual outlets and connecting them with wire.

The shame of all this is that once I added my new sump/coral farm I was going to be doing a substantial improvement to all of my electrical equipment. It's a shame I didn't get that done sooner.

Attachments

• bad one (medium).jpg
    bad one (medium).jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 76

dgasmd

Curt:

Glad to see this had the better outcome of the 2 possible ones.

When I got an electrician to do my extra breakers for the tank, I asked him to build me a large box with 40 or so outlets. He laughed and told me I would be wasting a huge amount of money if I did that. I told him what I wanted it for and he told me the best thing to do is to get some of the metal power strips meant for HD equipment like power tools and such. Same as you have almost. I bought 4 of them. Each has 10 outlets (far mroe than I'll ever need) and are rated for more amperage than I'll ever run through them. They were only $25 each. I couldn't have bought the parts only for the box I had in mind and this came up so much easier and better than I ever envisioned.

Take this opportunity to re-do your entire electrical lay out. Nothing like a fresh bad experience to give you some encouragement.

dwall174

Originally posted by Curtswearing
We had quite a few discussions about cheap powerstrips at SEASL's frag swap today. There's a good chance that I had something called an arcing fault.
They have a somewhat new breaker out called an AFCI I plan to have an electrician friend of mine help me with some wiring soon & I'm thinking of adding these for the new lines?

Curtswearing

Working backwards....thanks for the encouragement Alberto. That $100 you spent was spent well. I on the other hand will spend more than that because I have to spray my entire basement with a product called Kilz to seal in the smoke smell and then repaint the entire basement.

Nick, those American DJ things look good to me now. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=home/search/detail/base_id/52894 However, the Swearingen household is doing fine....just stinky.

Does anyone have a Pic of a "drip loop" I'm not sure if I know what everyone is taking about. All of my electrical is hung above the plumbing and sump to where nothing would drip on it.

You don't need a drip loop then. A drip loop is designed the have a portion of the cord go below the outlets so that if water (or condensation) gets on a powercord, it can't run down the cord all the way to an outlet.

Curtswearing

Originally posted by dwall174
They have a somewhat new breaker out called an AFCI I plan to have an electrician friend of mine help me with some wiring soon & I'm thinking of adding these for the new lines?

Yep, an electrician told me the same thing and I think they sound like a good idea.

Originally posted by Curtswearing
I had a power strip that was running several powerheads and my heaters catch fire. The lights in the house flickered and then I could smell burning plastic. Thank God I was home or this story wouldn't have a happy ending.

I'm going to buy a fire alarm to put by my tank and I'm going to put fire resistant drywall up on the back wall of my storage room today because I can't believe how quickly that a stud caught on fire. (My tank is built into my wall but the backside of it is in a storage room).

Curt I had the same surge protector (looks the same) do the same thing.
I came home from work and saw my lights were out on the tank, and the PVC pipe I hold the hood up with was at the bottom of the tank.
When I lifted the hood the tank was full of water right to the edge. Then I checedk the sump and it also was full check my refill buck and it was empty.
Looked at the back of the tank and the overflow box was overflowing and no power running anything at this point.
tried to reset my 5 surge protectors and nothing happened. checked the breaker box and saw 1 switch needing reset.
The darn thing would not reset. started checking the surge protectors 1 by 1 and noticed wet floor behind the tank and one of them was wet and water was inside it, Unplugged everything from that one and diverted it to another and lights cames on.
Checked and the main pumps and skimmer sit not running, so checked that surge protector. This surge protector I had wrapped up in a plastic bag because I did not want it to get wet when I filled my refill bucket. Come to find out there was 3 inches of water in that bag that had dripped down from the overflow and followed the cord right into the bag.
That protector was some what melted and that is what tripped the breaker.

After that happened I trashed the cheapo surge protectors and bought some very good ones. Put everything electrical up under a counter with a drip loop.

Oh why did this happen you may ask, well the sponge pre filter on the overflow has this center sponge where they cut the hole to fit over the drain pipe and it had gotten sucked into the pipe and clogged it.

I checked the timers to see when they were triggered off and it was 50 minutes before I got home. The main thing here is get some really good surge protectors and don't buy the cheap ones. Try to keep them away from the tank and have a drip loop.

I hope that your house is ok and everything is ok Curt.

Last edited:

tkjeffrey

I do electrical and electronice work for a liveing on the railroad and pretty much everything I work on is exposed to the elements. What I have found to really help before wrapping your connections with tape put some ScotchKote on it first. Could find at an electrical sales place. Be careful with the stuff though it is very hard to get off skin and will ruin your clothes but the stuff works great for keeping out moisture.

Spooda420

Curt,

wow just now really reading the entire thread. WOW, sorry for the loss of the corals and fish, not to mention the time and effort you put into it.

I did go out after the SEASL meeting and get a new power strip though.

I wish I had something to give you as a jump start for your tank, however all is unfrag-able in my tank.

Best of luck with this!

Chris

Curtswearing

Dwall,

I didn't origninally see your post. I must have been typing mine out at the same time. From what I've been told, those AFCI circuits are great and I'm thinking of looking into them.

It was also the rubber and plastic on the plugs and cords unfortunately.....VERY black smoke. When the stud caught on fire, the other cords caught on fire.

Spooda,

Glad you got a new strip. Better safe than sorry.

Last edited:

dwall174

No problem Curt!

It's amazing how a little burnt plastic can smell up a whole house!

Originally posted by tkjeffrey
What I have found to really help before wrapping your connections with tape put some ScotchKote on it first.
Thanks I'll have to check on that! I drive a tractor trailer & I've used Dielectric Grease on the trailers electric connections for years! Would this also help out for 120-volt equipment?

Last edited by a moderator:

TDEVIL

holly cripes

Curt, i just saw this, very sorry to here this happened, but glad all is ok

i know this can be a problem for most of us, as most of us use them :(

so, im sorry this happened, but glad you posted this :)

Jay

dgasmd

Curt:

Another tip is to try to put all your electrical outlets and connections in the complete opposite side of the room where water is the least likely or impossible to get to. Somehow somewhere down the road, you (as we all do) will have a flood. This way water cannot get to the electrical stuff. I almost burnt my house down about a year and a half ago because my sump pverflowed on top of all the electrical outlets and cords. Almost burnt my pumps and such. I re-arrenged everything to the opposite side of the room after that.