Feeding the reef.

steved13

PREMIUM
ScienceDaily (Feb. 26, 2011) — An international scientific team has shown that strong links between the corals reefs of the south China sea, West Pacific and Coral Triangle hold the key to preserving fish and marine resources in the Asia-Pacific region. Research by Dr Johnathan Kool of the ARC Centre of Excellence for Coral Reef Studies and James Cook University, and his colleagues, has established that the richest marine region on Earth -- the Coral Triangle between Indonesia, Malaysia and the Philippines -- depends vitally for its diversity and resilience on coral and fish larvae swept in from the South China Sea and Solomon Islands. "The currents go in various directions, but the prevailing direction is from east to west, and this carries coral spawn and fish larvae from areas such as round the Spratly Islands in the South China Sea and the Solomons/Papua New Guinea," he explains.

Read the whole story

110222122822.jpg

SantaMonica

PREMIUM
I'm a big fan of high-feeding. It's actually the reason I started studying filtration, so that I could feed more :)

My calculation was that a 100 gal reef would need 140 cubes of food per day to match a natural reef.