Favorite MH bulb(s)?

Which is your favorite MH bulb? Select all that apply...

• SE (single ended)

Votes: 70 40.9%
  • DE (double ended)

Votes: 54 31.6%
  • HQI

Votes: 46 26.9%
  • 175 watt

Votes: 24 14.0%
  • 250 watt

Votes: 73 42.7%
  • 400 watt

Votes: 17 9.9%
  • 6500 k

Votes: 8 4.7%
  • 10000 k

Votes: 67 39.2%
  • 12000 k

Votes: 13 7.6%
  • 14000 k

Votes: 59 34.5%
  • 20000 k

Votes: 22 12.9%
  • SPS Corals only

Votes: 18 10.5%
  • Soft/LPS Corals only

Votes: 25 14.6%
  • SPS/Soft/LPS mixture

Votes: 78 45.6%

• Total voters

davejnz

I've used 250w SE CV10k's for about 1yrs,color was great but growth wasn't all that.The bulb actually looks like a 14k on my IC ballast.I then tried the XM10k and my IC had trouble firing it after a couple weeks and i thought it looked too yellow for a 10k.I have since gone back to 250w `sakis on an H37 ballast supplemented with T5blue+.They do a great job balancing out the saki..

I recently swithched to 250 watt double ended aqualine bushke 20k's and I love them. They are a crisp white but still bring the colors out of the solomon zoas and such which require the higher kelvin to look good. I have 2 of them with 2 t5 ocean blue actinics for supplementation and I think it looks incredible compared to my other tank with 2 175 ushio 10ks and 3 110 watt vho actinics. And the fixture is built like a tank.:)

Sharkbait

I'm using 2 250w hamilton HQI's 14k w/ 2 140w VHO super actinics. Growth has been amazing especially in sps. Also very colorful.

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
has anybody ever heard of a sunburst halide bulb I got a pair of 12 ks really happy with them just wondering

Witfull

updating,,,even though its only been a month now,,,and all the test say the 250 XM 15K are not the best bulb as far as ppfd etc,,,im loving them. the color is a crisp blue white, requires no strong actinics, except to give the glowing effect. one thing i have noticed is that my new E-ballast drives the bulb a bit brighter than the tar ballast. my corals seem to like them too,,,,wonder what the ppfd on them is a4 2.5 inches from water level?

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Get a new capacitor for the TAR ballast and then compare :tongue:

I really, really like my XM 15k's.

Woodstock

RS STAFF
Update*** I have switched bulbs.. I do love the color of the XM 15k's but the low PAR/PPFD just stinks! I am now burning 2 10k Sun Aquatics. They are SO BRIGHT... I hope they tone down a bit :)

mattie

RS Sponsor
i too have switched.
i was running the 14k hamilltons becouse i loved the color but w/ 4 vho atnics it was a little blue
i switched to xm 10k's becouse on the ice cap ballast they are supposed to burn in at about 12k. they are super bright and i have seen a huge difference in the growth rate of the sps corals
and color is nice with all the actinic i am running

Woodstock

RS STAFF
Nice Mattie... I will probably turn full circle and end up back with an XM 10k :rolleyes: I really wish XM would revamp their weak 15k bulb.

Mad Mike

If the sun at it's highest is only 6500k, why do we exceed that? I read that someplace and it really made me stop and wonder.

I use a 10k 150. I'm looking for 6500k 150DE. I think XM has them I have to double check tonight.

Woodstock

RS STAFF
The lower the kelvin number the more intensity the bulb has... a 20k bulb is much, much bluer and less intense than a 6500k. A 10k bulb is stronger than a 20k, but less than a 6500k.

6500k = yellow and VERY intense
10000k = not as yellow, less intense
20000k = very blue, very low intensity

HTH