EVB's Red Sea Max S 650 LED

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
@TaraOzz :rbwwelc:to RS !

Start us a new tank thread of your tank, like EVB has... and post us some pics !

Cycling a tank:

Watch for the ammonia to soar then fall to zero, then the nitrites soar & then fall to zero, then the nitrates soar, once this happens, do water changes to get rid of the nitrates - tank cycled

1st fish and 1st corals can be added

Depending on the state of your LR (how cured it was & how much die off it had), in general it will look something like this...

For $20 you can pick up an api sw test kit - will be find to test for the above

CyclingGraph.gif

emvanburen

How do I know when my tank is cycled and I can start putting my fish in? Do I just test my levels?

I am new to this group and fairly new to reef tanks. I have a 13 1/2 gallon tank but I'm moving them to a 55 gallon.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Good answer posted already. And Bulk reef supply has amazing videos on YouTube. Particularly the 52 weeks of reefing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Pancho75

Excellent video and advise to keep redundancy in an aquarium system. Keep it up!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

emvanburen

Looks like i need a new salt. All the elevated levels are precipitating out before I get to use it since I’m using auto water change. Crazy.

emvanburen

Generator failed inspection due to proximity of window. Getting moved this week after being in place for 14 months. Unreal. Tank is doing well. Sps corals have ok color but not great yet. Fish doing great. Alkatronic has me seeing daily changes to alk that are fascinating. Maybe ignorance was bliss but

Switching to tropic Marin pro salt since I’m not getting any benefit from Red Sea Coral Pro since it’s precipitating out.

Nobbygas

Generator failed inspection due to proximity of window. Getting moved this week after being in place for 14 months. Unreal. Tank is doing well. Sps corals have ok color but not great yet. Fish doing great. Alkatronic has me seeing daily changes to alk that are fascinating. Maybe ignorance was bliss but

Switching to tropic Marin pro salt since I’m not getting any benefit from Red Sea Coral Pro since it’s precipitating out.

Just my observation about SPS, but I found that if I keep Phos at 0.02ppm (as seems to be recommended) I don't get much growth or colour from my SPS. If I let it rise to 0.04, then my SPS grow well and increase in colour tremendously.

emvanburen

Got my ICP test of Red Sea coral pro salt in my mixing barrel. I’m chasing high Cr and I levels in the display as shown here.
b2d48d8e423fc49ea8a7ee7a418e37be.jpg

Got my test back today. Interesting to see high Cr.
937124f72347d309ff4bb2451d3d3492.jpg

Still no explanation for the crazy iodine.

I plan on doing some large water changes and switching salts. Hopefully next tank test is better.

Pancho75

Wow that is weird for Cr, do you have stainless steel in contact with your water?

Reactions: SPR

Nobbygas

On all my ICP results Iodine is measured as 'zero'. I dose Red Sea Colours ABC+D, and this hasn't helped. I now also dose Flugol's at four drops a day, and I have bought a Salifert Iodine test kit.........but I still can't seem to find any traces of it in the tank !
I'm due another ICP soon, so I'm hoping that Iodine will show up at last !

emvanburen

On all my ICP results Iodine is measured as 'zero'. I dose Red Sea Colours ABC+D, and this hasn't helped. I now also dose Flugol's at four drops a day, and I have bought a Salifert Iodine test kit.........but I still can't seem to find any traces of it in the tank !
I'm due another ICP soon, so I'm hoping that Iodine will show up at last !
You want iodine? You can have mine!

emvanburen

Totally anecdotal, but I had a minor salinity fluctuation and lost my birds nest. It totally rtn’d the next day. I fragged it up but lost most large parts.

Not devastating. It was really big but a pain to prune. I have a bunch of backup frags downstairs plus the new saved pieces. Plus it has grown into some rocks in tank and I have local backups too. And now I have some more space for new coral.

82d643808115f21049a1060310d0b164.jpg
7e8e72868b645561ece104e4b8a819e4.jpg