EVB's Red Sea Max S 650 LED

emvanburen

Progress continues but more in the planning department. I’ve been wondering about how to handle moving my livestock while the new tank cycles. Everyone tells me the corals are going to get really pissed by the process.

I set up a small frag tank experiment a while back. It’s been fed by auto water change waste water. I haven’t giving it much attention and it has suffered. I’ve decided to spend more energy on this little system and use it for one copy of my corals. Since it hasn’t been keeping up with alk and calcium naturally I’ll just have to dose it like a standalone tank. So be it. Moving it to another room while I build out the reef command center shouldn’t be an issue. I will still send frags out to a few other tanks in the vicinity.

For the rest of the lot - fish, lps etc- I’ve lined up a 120gal used tank and will run that once we evacuate until the tank is ready for rehabitation.

Am I missing anything? Does this cover all logical bases?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

emvanburen

Goodbye Potomac Reef!

This is a bit bittersweet as this is probably my last update on Potomac Reef – which has been my largest and most successful reef tank to date. Sad, because I’ve loved the tank despite its limitations and nuances. But happy, because soon Potomac Reef 2 will be up and running in time for the Superbowl. The build thread for that Monster Tank production is easy to find on the forums.

Potomac Reef served as a great gateway back into the throes of the hobby. It was up and running for 2.5 years – certainly not long enough to reach its potential– but plenty long enough to make its potential obvious. However, as a stand-alone tank it never fully integrated into the décor of our family room despite being the first step back into full blown reef addiction. Maintenance was messy and was a challenge with everything mounted under-tank. And I was constrained by Red Sea’s choices in lighting, sump and filtration. There is no way I would have started with an 8 footer....

Nonetheless, it was a success, and restored my enthusiasm for the hobby and for detailed system design and management. All of your continued encouragement and camaraderie helped keep me moving forward.

I was able to keep happy fish, softies, some nice LPS, and an array of SPS corals with dramatic growth (from all but my most expensive, Walt Disney acro…)

Almost everyone will find a home in the new tank. Sadly, my beloved Xenia and Green Star Polyps, both of whom flourished in Potomac Reef, will NOT be making it onto the bus…Fool me once…

When we return in the new year, construction of Potomac Reef 2 will begin in earnest. The new fish room is already prepared, and the majority of gear will land before our winter break ends. If it's up and running before the Superbowl, and the Ravens make it in, we can call it a Christmas miracle!

Happy Holidays,

Ed
38ab65f8deac74b1ba381db8ca31716e.jpg

Last edited: