Encrusting Montipora sick? or normal?

bap819

So we have had this frag for a couple months and he has started to grow but we aren't sure if the new growth should look like that. Is it normal for that much skeleton to be showing? or is something wrong?

DSCN4760_zps639ed228.jpg

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Unfortunately your monti is looking a little worse for wear :( This looks like it's bleaching all around which is a bad sign for sps corals but it's reversible with some TLC, luckily it doesn't look like tissue recession though because if it were there's not a lot you can do to save a whole coral from it but frag the parts that aren't.

What are you parameters? More specifically what's your salinity, Alk, Ca and Mg? Phos would help as well but monti's are pretty tough so we'll see if we can find the problem. Do you have any other sps in your tank and how are they looking? Any similar signs and how are the rest of your corals looking as well?

bap819

So over the past month I haven't been able to get the alkalinity above 8. I tried dosing with Kent part B and then switched over to Liquid Reef from Brightwell. Still not getting higher. The frag in question doesn't look any better, but not terribly worse either. My other sps are fine and happy. I'm thinking a trip to the LFS to try something else. Any suggestions?

ReeferBee

Generaly that means your magnesium is low. Low mag makes it difficult to maintain proper calcium and alkalinity levels. A swing in alk probably caused the stn.

bap819

Last night the mag/cal/alk were all low. So i dosed with bright well's magnesion and liquid reef. This morning the numbers were:

Magnesium 1400
Calcium 480
Alkalinity 7 dKH

So I just now dosed with Kent part B to hopefully bring up the alk.

Corvus

I'm still sort of new to this, but it seems to me your alk is a bit low (mine is 9 in my reef tank). Mg and Ca look ok. Hopefully some of the more experienced guys will chime in soon. Hang in there!

C.