ebay lighting?

jeffreyKTM

I ordered a fixture off ebay.....it is a 36" fixture for my 92 gal bowfront corner......it has a 400w 15k halide 4x39w t5 o3 actinics and 6 dual blue lunars.....all in one w/ ballasts.....339.00 w/no shipping fee......anyone tried these lights......are they any good.......and are they a good choice for my tank size:bluenod: ..........

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Jeffery we'd have to have more info than you've given... links... brand names etc to make an honest "guess".

SubRosa

It's more than you need for that tank just based on the numbers (not to say that you can't use it!) but as Al said more info please!

John

BigJay

is that the one from Mucca or something? I PM'd a lot of the buyers and I got about a 50/50 response on love it or hate it. Heard some people say it had some cooling issues and others say it ran normal for an HQI. So I have no idea.

ZAPCOnj

I bought a light off of ebay for my GF's tank. had 4 actinic 03's, 2 150w Hqi and 6 moon lights, all on 3 separate switches and plugs. two 4" fans and very sturdy and solid construction. HQI came with an external Transformer and the PC actinics have the ballasts mounted in the fixture. the maker of the light is Catalina Aquariums

I love the light. in total it was like $550 shipped. and the light is great! no problems. a few local reef guys fell in love with it and want to upgrade to one of these.

ZAPCOnj

the light you bought is made in California in a little shop called Catalina Aquarium. Here is the link to the item on their site: Catalina Aquarium 30" ULTRA REEF HOOD with 150W HQI + 2 X 65W POWER COMPACT the owner/manager of the shop is Jim. you bought the smaller version of the one i bought for my GF.

If you have any problems with it pm me and i will give you Jims #. I ended up needing new legs that were for a 13" deep tank so he hooked me up free of charge. I also wanted to try the light with legs that had the light about 3.5" off the top of the glass and he made and shipped them out same day i ordered them. Very nice guy. and a great company. I hooked him up with one of the mods here to see if we could get them to sponsor.

Here is a post i did a few weeks ago with some pics of the 48" light we bought.

It's been a busy few days and i haven't had a chance to get down to the GF's house to install the new light until yesterday. I snapped a few photos while i was unpacking it and putting the legs on..

opened the box and installed the PCs.
large.jpg

you can see the reflectors and the Hqi sockets. You can also kind of see one of the two fans. The unit came well packed nothing was rattling.. You can also see the Moon lights

Close up of the PC light sockets
large.jpg

you can kind of see the reflector.. got some finger prints on it but it's very very shiny.

PC plug eng w/moon light dimmable switch:
large.jpg

hqi plug end these are the plugs that go to the power pack:
large.jpg

Hqi plug end fan:
large.jpg

one of the two fans:
large.jpg

Switch side with light name:
large.jpg

legs attached:
large.jpg

large.jpg

I'll finish up this post later.. i have a meeting to go in to really quick... work.. gets in the way of everything.... geez...

big jay - the HQI transformer is remote the PC's are mounted in the fixture.