Durso issue?

Raf

I have a potential problem with this tank I look after. It uses Megaflow overflows with durso standpipes. When we set it up, I guess the floor was a hair unlevel(by about 2mm off on a 6 foot length) and more water seems to be flowing in one overflow than the other. At first, i thought the air flow was blocked on the one cap, but that was not the case.

Well, the problem is, the one durso is making gurgling noises as air is getting into it and the water level in that overflow is much lower. Thing is, these durso caps have these holes drilled into them where the cap elbow meets the standpipe, i guess in case the screen ever got clogged, the holes would act as the drain. So anyways the water level never goes above these 3 holes and actually drains through them instead of going in the screen of the durso elbow....

So, how would I go about fixing this. The drain lines have no valves so I cannot slow the flow on the one overflow. Should I try and find a durso cap that doesn't have thes holes drilled?

suggestions?

thx :)

note, in the link pic you can kinda see these holes in the elbow unit of the durso...
http://akamai.edeal.com/images/catalog3684/folder24579/img3039906med.jpg

link to larger pic:
All-Glass Mega Flow Overflow Accessory Kit at Big Al's Online

Scouter Steve

Those drains are adjustable. Raise the level in the one. However, if the tank isn't level you may never get it anywhere even. How much flow are we talking about here? I also don't convert metric well, how big is 2mm?

kinghokus420

2mm isnt alot. about the thickness of a couple dimes. look into a stockman pipe. easy to make and quieter than a durso. and maybe a ball valve underneath the tank to slow that overflow a bit. when i had megaflows on my 72 i used the 1" for the main drain and the 3/4 inch as a backup emergency drain. i had a 90* about 3/4 of an inch above the water line. incase the 1st plugged up the 2nd would take over. it worked well. i ran the return up over the back.

Raf

no, the entire plumbing is rigid PVC...

2mm is only about 1/8th of an inch...so the tank is pretty good...

If I lower the drain, the water level just lowers to that point and continues to drain down these holes.....I am unsure of the purpose of them????

AQTCJAK

RS Sponsor
The larger hole on the durso are for when the power goes out the of will drain only to that point your returns have pin holes that do the same thing