Dosing Question

Bearjohnson

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
I dose alk daily to the tune of 45ml a day. I'm using the BRS mix for alk, mag, and calcium.

Does anyone think that dumping 45ml into the 125g tank all at once could pose any problems?

Mike Johnson

I use the same. IMO - no problem if slowly poured on to a power head. One thing to watch for (but is the same with any dosing) is build up on pumps. Nothing a vinegar bath every 6 months won't fix.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
I dose about 50ml a week on Wednesdays.......my CA reactor does a good job but it slightly lags and i don't feel like messing with it. I dose it all at once into a high flow area and while it raises the PH, it doesn't go that high so it can be done. And by all at once I mean at the same time but slowly enough that it "absorbs" into the water quickly to avoid any concentraed water getting to one of my acros.

DaveK

I don't think you'd have any issues dosing that amount all at once, but it is usually better to use a dosing pump and do it that way. Spread it out over a long period.

Naturally, such a piece of equipment can be expensive. The big plus is that you can set it up and have it run for a week or two with out messing with it.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Not to mention if you you dose it at night it could help stabilize the ph drop