Do you ever just feel like starting over?

spiraling

Hey all,
So my tanks aren't THAT bad. But both do have problems

My frag tank had a crash last winter. I was able to save about 50% of the corals. But there is this slimy bacteria that I have been fighting for months. And none of the corals are better than surviving when they were thriving before the crash.
My main tank (130d) I doing pretty well overall. Some algae, cyano. But it does have oenone worms. I lose major clean up crews to these guys. I've lost an elegance to them. Other corals are nipped. They are hard to get rid of except for starting over.

Some days, now that I have a lot more knowledge than I did 2 years ago, I feel like tearing down my tanks and starting again. But man that is hard too. And expensive since you know you will go bigger :)

Does anyone else ever feel this way?

Oxylebius

Well, we are all battling something, I suppose. For me it is aiptasia. I've had aiptasia for 7 years, in my old 40g and now in the 66g. And currently dealing with a little cyano since I've been building up my sand bed, but I expected this. Back when I had the 40g going, I had a oenone worm as well. Took a good amount of time to catch it. Found the rock it was in and pulled the tank apart to get that rock out. It worked and was worth the effort.

Sometimes making a fresh start is the best. Sometimes you have things that are working well (e.g. a good coral or fish) and so keeping what you can while starting over can work out as well. Depending on the issue, sometimes you just bring the issue along with you as you start over..... :ponder2:

As for my ongoing aip issue. I approach it as I do regular tank maintenance. When doing water changes I go after the aips I see with aip-x. It is a regular maintenance thing to do for me. Keeps them in check. Don't let them to get out of control b/c it will be harder work down the road.

Pat24601

I agree that many, if not all, of us are battling something. So, I suppose that's just largely part of the deal with saltwater. I have GBA that rears its ugly head occasionally.

That said, I agree about knowing so much more now than I did when I started and yes I absolutely consider starting over from time to time. In fact, if I knew what to do with my livestock while I was cycling, I probably would have by now and my tank really isn't bad at all. Just some things not really the way I like.

So, I feel the way you do frequently. :)

I think starting over with my improved knowledge could be fun.

So, either way I think is reasonable, but I just wouldn't start over with the hopes you'll avoid all problems. As near as I can tell, they'll catch up with you again eventually. :)

Choff

I want to start over all the time. [emoji3] course, I love the build more than anything else.

Cyano is killing me right now, but I also know it's my own fault. My skimmer overflow filled on Thursday and that shuts down my skimmer. I still haven't emptied it to get it running again. In fairness I went away Friday morning and just drift want to deal with it that night. I'll get home in a few hours and take care of it. In addition , my WC barrel was empty to, so no water changes over the weekend as well. I use a genesis that changes 1 gallon every 4 hours. So I can't really complain about my cyano when I'm being a lazy bum. That said....thinking about starting over sure sounds fun and it will certainly fix my problem....or actually no it won't. [emoji41]

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Sometimes, I just want to GIVE UP! But then I look at ALL my fish that have depended on me for the past 2 years & I know that I can't just give up.
I think we all have ISSUES that seem hopeless at times.
Right now mine is Bryopsis Algae....AGAIN, It's Back!
Lettuce Slugs ordered.
Time will tell (starting Wednesday when they arrive) if Bryopsis will take over my rockscape, cover my corals & drive me insane. Hope the Elysia Crispata slugs can survive & keep Bryopsis in control. :fingerscrossed::fingerscrossed::fingerscrossed:
So, YES....this hobby is exciting & fun but not without problems that seem overwhelming at times. Just HANG IN THERE!!!
(I'm talking to ALL OF US, me included :winky:)

DaveK

Unless you have a total collapse of the system, problems usually can be fixed. It may require some work on your part, equipment upgrades, and just waiting things out.

Usually you are better off fixing the existing problems, rather than a total tear down, but there are a few cases where there is no other good way. Certain disease problems might require removing any good live stock you have, and doing a "bleach bomb" on the system.

If you have had a total crash, then you can rebuild everything, and hopefully do it better the next time around.

melvis

I've thought about it at times, definitely. Most recently was (and still is) because of the battle I'm having with red turf algae and the impact that's now beginning to have on corals. I've decided that July 2016 is when I'll upgrade my tank and when I'll put to use all the good knowledge I've accumulated over the past 10 months in making sure I'm 100% happy with things. That's about as close as I'll get, providing I remain 'ok' with everything and don't have any serious issues.

newo11

Look at it this way - if it was easy, would you enjoy the hobby as much? I try to remember that anytime you get to these type of crossroads.

I think everyone battles some issues - one of the best quotes I've heard (and I believe it was from Julian Sprung) is that every tank is only one step away from a complete collapse. It's a reminder that we do our best but there is no way we can replicate the efficiency of nature in our boxes of water.

Pat24601

I agree that these issues can really become just one more maintenance issue.

The problem I have with GBA is it threatens to become an issue which crosses over the line for what I can keep up with. It's not been too bad so far, but it's easy to see it getting there.

When / if that happens, I'm going to have to ask myself if a reef tank is really for me. Which is sad, because I love it.

Last edited:

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
I agree that these issues can really become just one more maintenance issue.

The problem I have with GBA is it threatens to become an issue which crosses over the line for what I can keep up with. It's not been too bad so far, but it's easy to see it getting there.

When / if that happens, I'm going to have to ask myself if a reef tank is really for me. Which is sad, because I love it.
GBA had me in great fear for a long time....not so much now Pat.
I have kept mine in control with manual removal for over a year.
I just have to be my own little Emerald Crab....I now kinda get happily excited when I find some :D :D:D
Just accept it as a challenge and HUNT that stuff down :winky:

Paul B

That's the attitude that will help you succeed in having a tank that's over FORTY YEARS RUNNING!!
:thumber2:

I can't help it, I never "battle" anything. If this was a battle I know that in my town they pick up garbage on Monday and Thursday and that's where I can put my tank. Hair algae, cyano. GBA (I don't even know what that is), diatoms, ich, bryopsis, slime bacteria (I also don't know what that is) Godzilla larvae, flatworms, round worms, square worms, worms doing the Macarena, etc. These are not problems to "battle". They are just part of this fascinating hobby and those things are what make it "fascinating". They are not problems, they are just things that make it interesting. Sometimes my tank gets boring because nothing goes wrong. I look forward to finding some weird worm, some algae, Emu's, maybe even slime bacteria as that would be interesting. Over the years I am sure my tank has had all of those things, probably many times and all the time those things went away with little help from me. But those were the times I really enjoyed the tank. It's the challenge that does it for me. Like trying to get a Supermodel to answer your calls. If I wanted a hobby that always ran perfectly I would collect stamps. Now that's a nerve wracking trip. Just imagine all those stamps sitting there and all of a sudden, you notice one of them turning yellow. I would be beside myself. One minute I would be here
-----------> and the next minute I would be beside that over here <------------
Just relax, open a nice bottle of Merlot.

spiraling

Hang in there, slow and steady, everything will come back around. As far as those worms go I found this thread and I honestly think you should give it a try.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1913372

I've seen 15 worms, caught 6 with this exact trap. It works pretty well if you can stay up late enough with a red flashlight to watch them poke their heads in. The others don't come out when I'm awake so I can get them. The duncan and some zoas are getting chomped since I've been trying to starve the worms, so I need to get more worms out soon. They are the #1 reason for me to start over, and I would do it with dry rock next time.

pablomay28

Hey all,
So my tanks aren't THAT bad. But both do have problems

My frag tank had a crash last winter. I was able to save about 50% of the corals. But there is this slimy bacteria that I have been fighting for months. And none of the corals are better than surviving when they were thriving before the crash.
My main tank (130d) I doing pretty well overall. Some algae, cyano. But it does have oenone worms. I lose major clean up crews to these guys. I've lost an elegance to them. Other corals are nipped. They are hard to get rid of except for starting over.

Some days, now that I have a lot more knowledge than I did 2 years ago, I feel like tearing down my tanks and starting again. But man that is hard too. And expensive since you know you will go bigger :)

Does anyone else ever feel this way?

I currently have a modified RSM 250. I plan on upgrading to a Cadlights Artisan II 100 gallon. I already have it figured out I will run it with 2 Kessil 360we, 2 mp40s, my current aquaeuro 1/4hp chiller, and my current Vertex Omega 130. Now the problem will be who will buy my modified RSM 250?? Ill figure that out later. Already got the green light from the wife. Already priced the setup and its arround $2,800-$3,000.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
I currently have a modified RSM 250. I plan on upgrading to a Cadlights Artisan II 100 gallon. I already have it figured out I will run it with 2 Kessil 360we, 2 mp40s, my current aquaeuro 1/4hp chiller, and my current Vertex Omega 130. Now the problem will be who will buy my modified RSM 250?? Ill figure that out later. Already got the green light from the wife. Already priced the setup and its arround $2,800-$3,000.

WOW Pablo! I looked at that tank & it looks AWESOME! I hope you plan on sharing your build with a thread here because I want to know more about this set up! Congrats on the "go ahead"....EXCITING!!! :celebrate: