DIY Silencer for the Life Reef RSM Nano Prefilter

tnwillia

When I got my Prefilter from Jeff he was supplying an optional Silencer for the unit and then he stopped supplying them. They worked great. After looking at it there was not much to it so I made my own. Here is how I made them. Have fun!

Shopping list:

2 each 2 inch PVC end caps (found at Lowe’s)
6 inches of ¼” solid hose (type used in RO/DI plumbing)
3” long Nylon screw (found at Lowe’s)

Tools:

1” hole saw
Small hand saw
Dremal tool & bits
Bench vice
Small hand file
1 tube of Super Glue Gel
150 grit sand paper
White Vinegar

Steps:

1. Using 1 of the 2 end caps, mark the center and drill a 1” hole thru it.
2. Using the same end cap, draw lines cutting the cap into 8 sections (pie slices)
3. Using the hand saw, cut each line equally across the cap.
4. Using a sharpie draw a line across every other cut (these will be the sections you cut out)
5. Using the Dremal with a pointed cutting bit, cut out each section you just marked.
6. Use a razor knife, small file and sand paper to clean up the cuts.
7. Set this cap aside.
8. Using the other cap, drill a ¼” hole in the center insert the nylon screw here. This is used to place and remove the silencer on the stand pipe.
9. Using the same cap, drill a ¼” hole app. half way between center and the edge. This hole is for your ¼” air line.
10. Once you’re happy with the finish, using the Super glue gel, glue the 2 end caps together holding for 15 to 20 seconds for the glue to set.
11. Add a small bead of glue around the Nylon screw to lock it in place.
12. Add your ¼” air line into the hole. Do not glue this.
13. Let everything set and dry for an hour then soak it in vinegar to clean it. Rinse several times in RO water.
14. Set the Silencer onto your Life Reef RSM Nano Prefilter stand pipe in place of the sponge.
15. Do not push it down as far as it will go just get the base below the water line in the chamber.
16. Hoping your world just got quieter, Have fun!

DSC02386.jpg

DSC02385.jpg

DSC02387.jpg

DSC01772.jpg

DSC01771.jpg

DSC01754.jpg

DSC01753.jpg

DSC01750.jpg

Uslanja

Great info!! We needed another silencer and this one just looks so cool! You do very nice work Tom!! Off to the local hardware store I go!!