DIY Dosing Container

justinmcleod

Hello All.

I am wanting to construct my own gravity drip dosing system, which should be pretty simple, but I have been trying to brainstorm as to what kind of 1-3 gallon container would be most suitable to use, as it would be convenient to have a kind of screw or cork like top for refilling and a good place to drill a hole to putin some airline tubing, then seal with silicone. If anyone has any ideas they would be greatly appreciated, or have a better dosing system (thats cheap!) please share, cheers!

Justin

XBwlr

I don't have a dosing system yet, but I've heard of people using gallon milk jugs or Sunny-D jugs.

They use a single airline control valve to regulate the drip.

They make the hole about 1 1/2 to 2 inches up from the bottom.

I made mine out of a 1 gallon juice container i bought at the super market. not the one with juice in it but a tupperware type that was much thicker plastic. it had a nice screw on top. i bought a plastic valve from Dr. Foster Smith that was male screw on one end, and open on the other end to fit 1/4"
tubing. I just drilled a whole the size of the screw part of the valve 2" up from yhe bottom of the jug ( so all the residue would lay on the bottom below the valve and not drip into my sump) a little silicone, srew it in , plastic nut on the inside. Make sure you can fit your hand into the jug!

Voila--- works great. Jug $4.99 valve $1.99 silicone $1.59.
good to go. I drip a gallon daily ( start a night before i turn in ) by morning
it is empty. Control drip rate with the valve . Does a good job on my 125

SueT

I was using a old salt bucket for mine. I had 2 salt buckets one turned upside down and the other right side up. Taped the two together and used a heavier type tubing with the float valve in my sump. Worked great..

phil

i used an old canister filter for a drip system, epoxied an air tube connector to it and put an adjustable air valve on it. works great.