Dap Silicone option

tailgamerllc

Has anyone used the DAP Kitchen silicone? It if a food grade silicone, it comes in clear, and from the test that i saw it sticks to acrylic fairly well. I have searched and dont see any post of anyone using it at all. The price is $7 a tube so it is cost effective and it is very clear when applied in a moderately sized bead. I just resealed a 55 gal with it and put baffles in and it is curing. But before I put it into service on an established tank i figured i would check first. I may just get a couple of chromis and put them in for a couple of days to test before i put the whole tank in service. What do you think?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
It need to be 100% silicon with no mold additives. GE silicon I is what I’ve always used

tailgamerllc

It need to be 100% silicon with no mold additives. GE silicon I is what I’ve always used
Here is the info from their website.

DAP’s Commercial Kitchen Silicone is an*NSF*certified product suitable for food-zone areas in commercial/ industrial kitchens. This 100% silicone product is 100% waterproof, has a wide temperature range of -75°F to 350°F (intermitted temperatures up to 400°F). It meets FDA Reg 21, CFR 177.2600 and is certified by NSF to NSF/ANSI Standard #51.
9d80a8702bccd9d591d7a00384ea7290.jpg

DaveK

See this link (offsite) - https://www.dap.com/media/235605/dap-commercial-kitchen-100-silicone-sealant_tds_3319.pdf

Note that it states that "Cured sealant is mold & mildew resistant". This almost guarantees that this sealer should not be used in a reef system.

BTW, no silicone sealer really sticks well to acrylic plastic. It can be used to hodd a baffle in place but it should not be used to glue any acrylic plastic where the joint much be 100% water tight. It will fail in time.

Last edited:

tailgamerllc

I just wanted to post an update. I added the tank to my system approx a month ago. I let the silicone cure for about a week. The. I filled with water to rinse,and the draied. I then refilled with ro water for about a week. I then plumbed it to my sump that is shared my display tank. I don't have any fish in the tank yet but it has not affected any the fish in my display tank.

It looks like with enough curing an a good rinse this silicone may be a good option