cycling problem

phil

I started cycling a 24 gal nano a little over a week and a half ago. I started with 20 lbs of live sand, about 4 days ago I put 30 lbs of uncured (it had been in the store holding tank for about a week) in and expected to see the ammonia to start going crazy but so far it hasn't.
It wet to almost .5 at one point with nitrites and nitrates both at 0. Today I tested the tank and it reads everything at 0. I heard I may need to put someting in the tank to rot so the ammonia will rise if this is true what should I put in it? and if it food what kind? could I just get a raw shrimp or two from the grocery store and add them or not.
I really need help getting this stupid thing to start cycling.

ReefLady

Staff member
Raw shrimp works well, though I would add 1 at most for a 24-gallon tank.

You can also use frozen fish food (mysis shrimp, formula, etc.)

T

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
I would add something to spike the cycle stronger than what it has.... shrimp works great.

BoomerD

Another vote for shrimp from the grocers...for a tank that small, even a couple of cocktail shrimp would work well...

Cougra

It's also possible to add pure ammonia to the tank instead of letting things rot in there (Although this method does work).

When using the ammonia solution add just 1 drop for every ten litres of water on alternate days.
After about four days test the water for ammonia and nitrite. The results may or may not show any nitrite but keep testing two or three times per week until the nitrite level reaches 15 ppm.
Once this target has been reached stop adding the ammonia and just wait for the cycle to finish.