Custom overflow in back filtration area???

Mr.Reeefer

Hi Reefers,

I am purchasing a second hand RSM 250 from Jan (wolffman) which I will be picking up in early Feb.

I have a question for all you RSM owners out there, I hope you can understand what I mean.

I want to use the back of the 250's filtration area as an overflow box only so, Is there any way I can use the overflow grill that is built into the RSM, and make a custom insert box that would fit into the back filtration area of the 250?

I hope that made sense and doesn't sound like a bunch of crazy talk!!

thanks in advance all.

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Are you talking about removing the grill that currently divides the DT from the back sump area and using it to build into an overflow?

Mr.Reeefer

Hi Greg and thanks for tuning in...

So I was thinking of using the current RSM overflow, now is that the grill in the back top of the DT in the middle?
Then where the water overflows I wanted to insert a custom made box in the sump of the RSM to catch the overflow, and direct it too the sump/fuge

All I want to remove is the filtration components in the back sump area to use this space for an overflow box

Hope this makes sense......

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Yeah that makes sense. In essence that is what the Lifereef overflow does and that is where it sits. I'll post some pics of mine when I get home.

Last edited:

Mr.Reeefer

Thanks Goma,

All I want to do which is different to the lifereef overflow is not use a siphon, I want to work of gravity, so the water from the DT would overflow through the grill built into the 250, flow down into the custom overflow box which would have an outlet at the bottom for the water to be directed into sump through tubing or PVC, so it would be similar to what I have running in my 140L, a weir setup, but it wouldn't take up any DT space and utilise the extra "sump" area in the 250.

pics would be great

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Now I understand what your area trying to do but don't see how that could work. Once water comes through that grill, it is in the RSM sump area. Now the water is basically such in that area because the back wall is higher than the grill. Not sure how it would get into you overview box and be able to flow out the bottom.

Mr.Reeefer

Hi mate,

I have drawn a quick sketch to show you my theory, the excess water coming through the grill would get caught in the custom overflow box this box would need to be attached to the back wall of the DT in the sump as shown in the sketch.

If this is able to be done, then there would be an outlet at the bottom of the overflow box and a hole would have to be drilled through the back of the sump to allow for the overflow hose to be directed to the sump underneath also shown in the sketch.

This might seem a bit extreme, but I will sleep easier knowing there is no chance of my DT overflowing. (If this can be done)

e812e0ffb41af3295634bd00a77486f8_zps521a1fea.jpg

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Ahhhh. I don't think you can drill the back wall. You will have to check with Red Sea on that, that will be the key to the entire endeavor!!

Choff

I was told the S series tanks use tempered glass in the back. Don't know if it's the same for the 250s. Crushed my plans for a bean animal over flow mod I was hoping to do.

...stupid auto correct

Mr.Reeefer

Well I have sent Red Sea an email asking them so fingers crossed...

If I can't do it, then the next option will be to find some way of installing a weir setup in the RSM without taking too much of the RSM look away...

Mr.Reeefer

Hi Mrsalt and thanks for joining!

The rear glass we are talking about is the back of the built in sump of an RSM250, if you refer to my sketch you will see that I would need to drill a hole through the very back glass to run overflow piping through town under tank sump. Any idea what this is made of? I have email Red Sea today and am anxiously awaiting a response...

Why did your glass crack? Did the back glass of the DT crack?

Mrsalt

PREMIUM
On mine it was the rearmost panel that cracked, not the piece between tank and rear chamber. This was on my 650.

I once wanted to drill the back of my 130 to create a sump overflow. Upon asking I was told rear was tempered. However no one really knows as no one I've heard has attempted it. It may just be rumour that the back is tempered, however i can't see why? Toughened yes, but loading isn't as high as say the 650. It's really down to Red Sea to come out and say what glass it is?

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/red-sea-max-owners-club/83315-als-red-sea-650-a.html[url]

Mr.Reeefer

Hi All,

I have spoken to Red Sea and they have confirmed that the back glass can be drilled on the 250 as it is not tempered, just once this is done you warranty is void.

MAKES ME VERY HAPPY :bouncer:

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
I won't be drilling it, when I pick it up it will be taking it straight down to the people that are making my sump and fuge, they are the experts, they can do it....:goofy:

Good call! and congrats!