Cozumel underwater shots - Part 1

Raf

Well, some of you may have known, Diana and I took off to Cozumel Mexico for a week. As you can imagine we got a lot of pics! I made some 300 underwater shots alone!!

Anyways, I thought I would share a sample. Part 1 was shot at Palancar Reef Gardens and Columbia reef, some of the largest reefs in the world!

More pix of fish, inverts and corals to come in Parts 2 and 3.

Enjoy :)

Chub? These fish were everywhere following us around, one even bit my finger thinking it was food. :D
chub_coz.jpg

Gorgeous caribbean chromis!
chromis_coz.jpg

Spot the Rock Beauty Angel?
rockbeauty_coz.jpg

How about a French Angel :D
frenchangel_coz.jpg

Gray Angel
grayangel_coz.jpg

And the almighty Queen Angel(these guys had attitude!)
queen.jpg

Black Trigger
trigger_coz.jpg

Giant Pufferfish
puffer_coz.jpg

Large school of Altantic Blue Tangs
atlanticblue_coz.jpg

uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu Baracuda!
baracuda_coz.jpg

more pix to come :)

Raf

Part 2

These shots were taken at Dzul-ha, an awsome snorkeling destination!

A seafan haven!
seafan_dzul.jpg

seafans_dzul.jpg

mini reefs all over the place!
minireef_dzul.jpg

urchin
urchin_dzul.jpg

snappers
snappers_dzul.jpg

ray
ray_dzul.jpg

golden moray!
moray_dzul.jpg

juvie french angel
juviegray_dzul.jpg

hawkfish i have never seen before!
hawkfish_dzul.jpg

juvie french angel hiding underneath a large coral
juviefrench_dzul.jpg

gorgonian
gorgonian_dzul.jpg

juvie filefish hiding alongside a seafan! a rare sight!!!
filefish_dzul.jpg

fanworm
fanworm_dzul.jpg

christmas tree worm
christmasworm_dzul.jpg

butterfly pair
butterfly_dzul.jpg

blue tang
bluetang2_dzul.jpg

bluetang_dzul.jpg

more pics to come :)

Raf

Thanks, depths vary by location. The first shots at Palancar and Columbia are about 30 feet or more...the Dzul-ha shots are shallow between 5 and 15 feet. :)

Yes, flash was used that was built into the camera, would have liked to have outside strobes to light up the area but considering I was using a pocket digicam, I think the shots came out pretty good :)

Raf

Part 3

These shots were taken just off our resort's beach. We snorkeled towards the end of the beach were people rarely ventured and got to see some neat things. The day was breezy so the water clarity was not that great. Depths vary from 5 feet to 10 feet.

Ricordias!!!!
ricordia_coz.jpg

ricordia2_coz.jpg

Gorgonians everywhere!
gorgonians2_coz.jpg

Nudibranchs that either feed off of or live on the gorgonians
nudibranch_coz.jpg

juvie altlantic blue tang
juviebluetang_coz.jpg

blue ringed flounder
flounder_coz.jpg

fireworm
fireworm_coz.jpg

conch
conch_coz.jpg

caulerpa sp.
caulerpa_coz.jpg

boxfish
boxfish_coz.jpg

crappy shot but a cool sight, batfish!
batfish_coz.jpg

anenome!!!
anenome_coz.jpg

this location had a lot of caulerpa species and we were really thinking we might see some seahorses. Well, we did not find any but DID fins pipefish, unfortunately we did not get any good shots. :)

prow

nice:thumbup: . looks like you had alot of fun exploring. thanks for sharing, very cool :bluenod:

makes me want a much bigger tank:invisible

bluespotjawfish

No spotted toadfish? Or drumfish?

Attachments

• AF002101-drumfish-sm.JPG
    AF002101-drumfish-sm.JPG
    46.9 KB · Views: 53
  • AF011401-toadfish-sm.JPG
    AF011401-toadfish-sm.JPG
    40.8 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:

bluespotjawfish

Your shots are very nice. Did you get to do a night dive? That was my favorite dive! The toadfish are only found in Cozumel. Did you see any?

Last edited:

vdituri

Wow! I want to go next time!
Looks like tons of stuff to look at. Sounds like you had a blast.

Raf

Thanks guys and gals, we did actually see a drum...I have a pic but not a very good one. As for toadfish, only saw one but it was hidden so deep under a rock that the camera could not pick it up.

As for housing for the camera, believe it or not, all shots were taken snorkeling with an Olympus Stylus 720 SW 7.1 megapix compact digital camera.

Olympus Stylus 720 SW Digital: Digital Photography Review

This camera is waterproof to 15 feet and worked great. I would go diving but Diana had ear troubles which prevented her from diving. I decided it was best to snorkel with her instead, these shots were taken then. Was very nice and we enjoyed it a lot!

We will definately go back. Our hosts at the Ibero Star Cozumel were fantastic, the food was very good and the hospitality even better. I highly reccomend it to anyone wanting an affordable vacation not too far away from the States or Canada. :)

bluespotjawfish

I agree, Cozumel was very affordable! I hope you get to dive next time!
I forgot about all the cool stuff we saw. It was my first trip with my underwater camera. If you aren't tired of pics, here is a photoshow of my diving in 2005 (the show is 5-10 minutes long, so grab some popcorn or a snorkel).

COZUMEL - PhotoShow Circle

:lurk:

Raf

AWSOME!!

I gather that was pre-hurricane?

Nice cam and lights, what was it?

We plan on going back, it was a great time.... :)

bluespotjawfish

Yes, pre hurricane. The camera is a Sea & Sea 5000G and the strobe is the YS-25 Auto. A fairly basic setup. The first day in the water I smoked the strobe and had to rent one. I'm kinda glad I did, because I discovered a great photo shop on the island and as a result learned a lot about how to take pics with my camera. Everyday I would take my pics to Holly and she would download them and tell me what to do different to get better shots.

Your pics make me want to go back. We are headed to Grand Turk in March. Trying new places for now, but we will find our way back to Cozumel at some point.

I'm glad you got to see a toadfish. They are so cool! BTW, you got some awesome shots with the simple camera you had. Getting good lighting is the hardest thing, and most people take the picture way too far away from the fish to get a good pic.