Copper - Treatment, Use, Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

leebca

Warren,

I may not have been clear, but you should not wait for your filter to become a biological filter while your fish are sick. You should move them to the QT now and begin treatment.

You don't need an active biological filter to operate a QT. Instead of relying upon the biological filter, you'll be making large water changes, up to 80% two or three times a day. Eventually the filter will 'kick in' but don't wait for it in order to start treatment.

The quarantine process is still in effect. That is, if the biological filter is running you'll still be making water changes once every other or third day. If you start treatment now, you'll be making more water changes (see above).

You can use the siphoning method as the beginning of a water change, or you use a siphon with a filter on it -- filtering the water you siphon into a clean container, to return to the QT. Another device, like those sand cleaners many freshwater aquarists use, can also be used. They have a filter bag to catch the debris and the water goes back in.

Good assumption. Glass containers can be cleaned to get rid of the residual copper, but most plastics don't readily clean well. It's best not to use those containers again for marine live stock. However such containers can still be used for mopping floors and other uses pails might provide around the house.

jettie1767

Thanks, Lee! After I posted, I bought the Eheim Quick-Vac. I think it will do the job of vacuuming the barebottom QT tank. Would that mean that I can't use it for the DT since I will be using it on the QT with copper in it? I'm thinking I can just wash it thoroughly and replace the filter and it can be used for the DT.

leebca

If you clean it as suggested, for having come into contact with copper, I don't see a problem with doing as you say -- disposing the bag and cleaning the equipment.

VJULIAN

Lee,

i have posted before about our marine ich when i first joined a couple of weeks ago. have read your posts on it.

we did 10 days of cuprazin but one clown and the lemonpeel still had spots. we were told to do another 10 days. today is day 5 (no copper) of the second treatment.

however, on closer inspection yesterday we noticed that our lemonpeel has developed cloudy eyes. is this due to the copper or a secondary infection, as someone else suggested.

any ideas? thanks

VJULIAN

forgot to say, copper levels around 0.50. fish have been eating well, but lemonpeel not as into his food as he was. did big w/c before started second treatment of cuprazin

leebca

Wish you had chosen to use Cupramine. It works all the time and is the most gentle on marine fishes, including Angles.

I would say that is correct. The cloudy eye is now indicative of a secondary infection. If you were using Cupramine, I could suggest a safe antibiotic that works with that medication.

You may wish to contact the makers of the chemical you're using and ask what antibiotic can be safely used with their treatment. While you're at that, ask why their cure didn't work the first time. :)

VJULIAN

hi

well, bart (the lemonpeel) died yesterday! at least he is at peace bless him!

the clowns are doing really well and the ghost goby has been great all the way through it. i guess it's back to square one. the fish have been out of the tank for about 4 ish weeks.

when would you say we could start re-introducing them into the main tank?

So frustrated at having to start again!. everything was going extremely well. the tank had really settled down and our water quality was brilliant..still is. our malu anemone has double in size since xmas!!!!!!

thanks for all the advice. it has been very helpful, if a little daunting!

leebca

You need to appreciate/understand that the hobby is very much misrepresented by those on the commercial side. They simply to make the hobby sound easy. But in reality, the hobby isn't all that easy.

You have to be a bit of a plummer, electrician, microbiologist, physicist, farmer, and chemist to do well. Everyone can get there, but it takes a lot of reading and the absorption of the facts.

The display tank should be free of this parasite in at least 8 weeks. This is assuming nothing has entered the system during that time.

It is not unusual to go through what you have gone through. At the start, everything seems fine. You may read the posts and wonder 'what seems to be the problem with these hobbyists.' Then disaster hits. Your tank is infected. There were no preventative steps in place and something got in.

Our systems are not a bit of the ocean. In the confines of a very small space (our systems), parasites, undesirable microbes, and afflictions sweep through our fish population quite quickly. Then it's time to implement a curing AND time to implement a quarantine system.

Sorry for the preachy bit, but in my way, I'm trying to cheer you up. :bouncer:

clittrell

Lee thanks for all the great info. I read you thread about setting up a quarantine tank and treating with cupramine. That is my plan. I am getting that done now, a 29 that I need to use as a hospital tank because I have Ich in the display tank. I am using pvc for aquascaping. My question is substrate. I know I am not supposed to use it but I have a Diamond Goby that digs constantly in the sand. Won't I freak him out if there is not sand in the QT? I have seen references to silica sand with both pros and cons. What do you think? If pro where do I find it?

Thanks,

Chris

leebca

Chris,

Can't help you find it. However you are looking for pure silica sand. You can put some in a bowl and place the bowl in the QT as mentioned in the QT post. Size it according to the size of the fish.

Many 'sand box' sand actually contains carbonates and are not 'pure' silica. You can test the difference. If you add a teaspoon of the sand to a Tablespoon of vinegar, it won't fizz or give off gas bubbles if the sand is pure.

Just be sure to test it, no matter what anyone tells you about it being pure.

I have found these fish do fine without it, however. A temporary displacement, but if there are enough hiding places (fake decorations, PVC pieces, etc.) they will get along quite well for the duration. They need a small enough diameter pipe or area so another fish can't 'follow them in.'

:)

aminyassien

hi every body
hybosalinity kills some creatures /.... what creatures shoudnot be in copper treated tank ?

Thanks in advance

Amin

leebca

Copper treatment is for fish only. Some smooth skinned fishes can't handle copper (e.g. Rays). However, if using Cupramine, a wider variety of fishes (e.g., Rays and sharks) can be treated with this copper.

The treatment as noted above is performed in a tank with no other creature. So the following are not to be exposed to copper:
1) mobile invertebrates;
2) immobile invertebrates; and
3) plants

Status
Not open for further replies.