Coolest fish for a 30 gallon

PootyTang

So I will be taking my coral beauty back to the LFS tomorrow because it's picking at my corals. I've been looking around for cool fish that could replace it and was wondering if anyone had suggestions. My only requirements are that it be usually coral safe and not a predator on small fish.

carmexx

I gotta put my 2 cents in....I have a 30 gallon reef and I am "in love" with the mystery wrasse. But at 139.99 it's too much for me to risk especially without a hood. I think they are jumpers.

Welcome to Marine Garden

peapod13

If you want to replace the coral beauty with another angelfish, WetWebMedia says the dwarf pygmy angels (Centropyge argi, Centropyge acanthops and Centropyge aurantonotus) can do well in smaller tanks. However, that being said, I have an African Pygmy (Centropyge acanthops) in my 29 and at times the tank seems a bit small for it. I may be wrong and defer to more advanced aquarist, but I thing just about any angelfish dwarf or otherwise is a 50/50 proposition as far as picking at corals goes. So far so good with mine, but you never know.

If you're just looking for a fish that will do good in the 29 gallon tank, a goby or something like a purple (Nemateleotris decora) or helfrich's ( Nemateleotris helfrichi) firefish can add a lot of color and personality. If you decide on a firefish be forewarned they are for peaceful tanks only. While at the fish store waiting out the two week "make sure it lives" period, my purple firefish accedentially got put into a holding tank with a psuedochromis and had most of the purple/orange fin down his back and tail eaten off and was cowering in the corner behind a rock when we found him and put him back in the correct tank.

PS firefish are jumpers and will need a good covering over the tank.

Last edited:

peapod13

Read your other post about your midas blenny's color.

I see you already have a purple firefish so that suggestion is out. My reading has suggested that 2 purple firefish in a small tank isn't a good thing.

Honestly, from everything I've read, I think I've streched the limits of a 30 gallon tank with an Ocellaris Clown, African Pygmy, Wheeler's Watchman Goby and a Purple Firefish. If you're getting rid of the Coral Beauty because it nipped your corals, maybe you shouldn't replace it with anything. A pair of Clowns are going to try to rule the whole 30 gallon tank if they ever start mating.

Just my 0.02 worth.

johnmaloney

I agree with peapod on the angels...they really like to swim for their size too and that becomes a problem...

you can never go wrong with a goby or a blenny. lots of personality and they are fun to watch.

PootyTang

So I ended up going with a Black-Capped Basslet, here are some picture of the new fish and of the tank
IMG_4821.jpg

IMG_4831.jpg

IMG_4820.jpg

I have a Helfrichi Firefish in my 29g reef. They are cool because they just like to hang out in the water column. They are jumpers though so watch out if you don't have a hood.