Considering buying RSM S-400

JKT

Hi folks,

I'm buying a new larger house, and I'm going to upgrade my tank to something bigger and better. I'm seriously considering upgrading to a new Red Sea S-400. I've had the best luck with 100 gallon tanks, so the S-400 is a good combination of size and style for the new larger house.

I currently own an RSM 250 that I've invested a lot of $$ into to improve heat and sound. I'm very happy with the Red Sea tank in terms of keeping my fish and corals alive and happy. But I've been unhappy with the noise from my RSM 250.

For those who own RSM S series tanks I'd like to ask a few questions.

1. How noisy are they?
2. Any tricky maintenance issues I should be aware of?
3. How hot do they run? Will I need my chiller that seems mandatory on the 250? I live in Northern California where it's usually no hotter than 90 degrees Fahrenheit in the summer.
4. Is there another tank from another manufacturer I should also consider?

thanks,
JKT

JKT

The 650 won't fit in the space I want to place the new tank. Other than having a near swimming pool of saltwater size, is the 650 better than the 400?

reefer gladness

This is a very Red Sea friendly site, many of us found this site searching for tips after buying an RSM tank (myself included).

Personally, I wouldn't buy another 'all in one'. I learned a lot from my RSM tank and like you spent large sums to reduce noise and heat, the timer was the only original component left on my RSM by the time I took it down.

For the sum of money I spent on the RSM tank and upgrading components I could have built a drilled tank with better components for less. I didn't know that when I started but that was part of the learning curve.

Some folks like the guesswork being taken out of a tank setup, I guess that's where RSM got the idea for their new 'reefer' series of tanks but the most innovative thing on that tank is the silent overflow which is nothing more than a herbie overflow that has been used on drilled tanks for years.

My two cents: get yourself a nice drilled tank with the components you want the first time. Or if you're planning to stay for awhile consider an in-wall installation.

ajkdark

Hi folks,

I'm buying a new larger house, and I'm going to upgrade my tank to something bigger and better. I'm seriously considering upgrading to a new Red Sea S-400. I've had the best luck with 100 gallon tanks, so the S-400 is a good combination of size and style for the new larger house.

I currently own an RSM 250 that I've invested a lot of $$ into to improve heat and sound. I'm very happy with the Red Sea tank in terms of keeping my fish and corals alive and happy. But I've been unhappy with the noise from my RSM 250.

For those who own RSM S series tanks I'd like to ask a few questions.

1. How noisy are they?
2. Any tricky maintenance issues I should be aware of?
3. How hot do they run? Will I need my chiller that seems mandatory on the 250? I live in Northern California where it's usually no hotter than 90 degrees Fahrenheit in the summer.
4. Is there another tank from another manufacturer I should also consider?

thanks,
JKT

Hi,

You will not regret buying the s series, no matter which size.
They are not noisy.
They are not tricky to maintain.
You will most probably need a chiller, have a look at the Teco range of heater/chillers.
There is no better all in one tank :)

Cheers

JKT

This is a very Red Sea friendly site, many of us found this site searching for tips after buying an RSM tank (myself included).

Personally, I wouldn't buy another 'all in one'. I learned a lot from my RSM tank and like you spent large sums to reduce noise and heat, the timer was the only original component left on my RSM by the time I took it down.

For the sum of money I spent on the RSM tank and upgrading components I could have built a drilled tank with better components for less. I didn't know that when I started but that was part of the learning curve.

Some folks like the guesswork being taken out of a tank setup, I guess that's where RSM got the idea for their new 'reefer' series of tanks but the most innovative thing on that tank is the silent overflow which is nothing more than a herbie overflow that has been used on drilled tanks for years.

My two cents: get yourself a nice drilled tank with the components you want the first time. Or if you're planning to stay for awhile consider an in-wall installation.

I think the S series tanks are a little different as they don't try to place all the components in a sump behind the tank. I'll never make that mistake again.

I've built my own tanks in the past as you recommended. I'm just not having a lot of success finding decent predrilled tanks that have the clean lines of the Red Sea tanks and stands. The S series tank looks great, but if I could find a tank and stand with similar clean looks, I would probably just build my own setup. But so far no such luck in my city.

ajkdark

I think the S series tanks are a little different as they don't try to place all the components in a sump behind the tank. I'll never make that mistake again.

I've built my own tanks in the past as you recommended. I'm just not having a lot of success finding decent predrilled tanks that have the clean lines of the Red Sea tanks and stands. The S series tank looks great, but if I could find a tank and stand with similar clean looks, I would probably just build my own setup. But so far no such luck in my city.

Well......
You have answered your own questions.
Buy the Red Sea S, you really won't be sorry. An aquarium and a beautiful piece of furniture:)