Clownfish hosting with anemone

jimv

One of my clownfish's just started to host with my BTA. He seems to host next to it /behind it. Is this typical? I assumed it would host inside the tentacles.

https://vimeo.com/112626591

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Great little video! It would make a nice update to your tank thread :thumbup:
Good luck with the bonding of your clown & RBT :)

Oxylebius

Give it time. As you can see in your video the fish rubs up against the tentacles and then dives back behind the anemone. By diving back behind the anemone it can't get stung, the tentacles don't reach back there. By slowly rubbing the tentacles, eventually the anemone will recognize the fish as part of itself and won't sting the fish. At that point the fish will dive right into the anemone.

Anemones sting fish. All fish including clownfish. Luckily, clownfish have a slimy mucus covering that protects them from the anemone. However, if this covering is wiped off of a clownfish, it will get stung and possibly be killed by the anemone. In order to live with the anemone clownfish need to protect themselves from nematocyst strikes. Nematocysts are harpoon-like stingers on the anemone’s tentacles used to capture prey and ward off predators. A thick mucus layer helps to protect the clownfish.

The behavior you are seeing is normal behavior. There are a couple of theories on why it is happening.

One theory is that the clownfish rub themselves against the anemone tentacles to smear the anemone's mucus over themselves. This coating tricks the anemone into confusing the fish for itself. Even though clownfish are born with a mucus layer that is already thicker than average, as it grows larger it mixes its mucus with that of the anemone’s to create a stronger barrier. On the off chance the clownfish is stung, it is protected by a thick mucus layer.

The other theory is that the fish produces mucus that contains chemicals (proteins or sugars) that prevent the anemone nematocysts from stinging.

There is evidence for both theories depending on the clownfish species.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Awesome.....I wish mine would go into my nem.....I have a beautiful bright red rose nem and my CF pair stay on the exact opposite side of the aquarium!

jimv

They did not touch it for months. Then one started hosting with it, then the other and now they fight over it.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
I think the clown/Nem relationship is so cool to watch.
But I would NOT put up with an anemone to see it happen in my tank :yup:
My clown pair L:heart:VE their little terra cotta clay pot to spawn in.
Clay pots don't move around & cause problems ;)

pgrtgunner

Yep, you are right, clay pots stay still. I used them when my South American Cichlids were ready
to spawn. YEARS AGO!!!

jimv

I think the clown/Nem relationship is so cool to watch.
But I would NOT put up with an anemone to see it happen in my tank :yup:
My clown pair L[emoji813]VE their little terra cotta clay pot to spawn in.
Clay pots don't move around & cause problems ;)
I am am enjoying it now that the nem is doing well and fish are hosting with it. So far I've been lucky and it has not moved from where I placed it on the first day I brought it home. I have been debating taking the foam off of my mp10 but I'm sure if I remove it the nem will move and get sucked in.