Clam question

EdgeKrusher

Are the Scuasomosa (that's the correct spelling, right?) the ones that can thrive under lower light conditions? What I mean by that is could I keep one uner 96watt PC, or would that be undoable. These clams are less vibrant in color, but I just saw one on Sharky's web site, and it looked really nice. I've always wanted a clam, and will give it a try if you pro's here give me the go. I'm very conscious about the care of my animals, like what their needs are, what to look out for in the way of stress, and their overall well being. I want to try it, and think I could do it, but need some more info, and the opinions of you guys. I'll consider, and respect any opinions, and make my decision based upon the majority of answers.

Thanks

EK

P.S. I'll be doing my own research, but would like any info that can be provided... Curt I know you got the links. :D

Witfull

EK, i saw that one, its labeled as a squamosa but in the subheading is says crocea. and looking at it it is a crocea. that means - high light=MH. i hate to Krush ya,,,it is a beauty. as for squams they do need less light, and can do well under PC.

EdgeKrusher

LOL, nice pun.
Cool, I didn't notice that on his site. I'm not krushed, I still want one, so I'll keep looking. As for the reasearch, seems that people differ in opinion as to feeding?

Thanks

addict

I kept my squamosa under both PC's and halides, and it does much, much better under halides... although they don't need near as much light as the high-light croceas and maximas, they still like pretty intense lighting.
Also made a huge difference in its color... the colors all deepened and enrichened.

You 'can' successfully keep them under PC's, but like the other clams they do a lot better under intense lighting... just wanted to offer that tidbit. :)

Be careful of the clam bug... once it bites you it's worse than the reef bug... :D

mattie

RS Sponsor
96watt power compact over what tank?
yes squasmo's require less light mine did fine and showed great growth for 6 months under 130w pc in a 20g
and note squasmo's grow fairly quick
in 9 months mine has gone from 2.5 inchs to 5+ so be mindfull of that if he doubles again in a year that wil be a big clam :)

Maxx

Your getting some good advice here EK....
If youre really wanting a clam, I would reccomend getting another 96 watt PC...more light = easier time w/ clams. Smaller than 3 inches and they will most likely need supplemental feeding w/ Phytoplankton. They will really suck Calcium out of your system once they start growing...so be ready for that. If you can afford the extra lighting, a Derasa clam is generally regarded as the easiest/most hardy of the tridacnid clams. But I believe the squamosa is next inline for level of difficulty. Both squamosa and derasa clams are sandbed clams.
HTH,
Nick

acropora

I would also vote for a Derasa or a Squamosa. I have two 12" Derasa's that are currently doing well in a B.B. tank.However they started in a tank with a DSB at about 3.5",since they like to be on the bottom.
Here is an older shot of them during my tank break in.

clam.jpg

Barry N.

Sponsor
Squamosa, derasa or H.hippopus will do fine under your lighting but you know that already. :smirk:

Ladipyg

Have a chance to pick up a MH combo light for my 75 gallon at a reasonable price....stats: 75 gallon reef...moved my 20 gallon nano over the last 4 weeks AFTER I cycled it without fish using Moe's method.
The light I'm looking at is a 400 MH with 4x65watt PC's. 2 actinic and 2 daylight. But should the bulb on the MH be a 10k or 20k. I'd like to keep a couple of clams eventually...any input would be appreciated. Thanks....

Witfull

a single bulb over a 4foot tajk wont be lit properly. a MH has a n effective spread of 2ft. you would be better off getting a dual 250 with 10k's.

Maxx

I still think that 400w Mogul based bulbs are unnecessary. Sanjay himself has said that he would have gone w/ 250 watt HQI DE's if he didnt have the money tied up in a newer 400 watt set up. He's found that you get essentially 5/6 ths of the PAR values, for something like 2/3rds of the energy usage. (I know, I know...fractions suck.....carry the one...etc). I'm definately interested in the studies that are gonna be done on the 400 watt HQI DE's though...that might be really nice for a deeper tank.

Now that we've completely hijacked this thread.......
Nick