Clam lighting

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
I just attended a lecture by James Fatheree about clams at MACNA. He said that MH was the only lighting adequate enough for clams, unless you plan on having deeper water species like Derassa.

Kazzy

I was planning on trying to get one of the Derassas mostly because I wanted one of the black and white ones(when my dad finally can save up for the lighting, we're a little tight on money right now), but it's even better if it can live under that lighting. I am still a little confused though. I have seen 3-4 clams kept under T-5s for extended periods of time before. Is this probably because they were Derassas?

Kazzy

I was just reading about clams in Reef Invertebrates, by Anthony Calfo and Robert Fenner, and it said deresas are one of 3 species of clams that can adapt to a wide range of light spectrum and intensity. The other two were T. squamosa and T. hippopus.

lcstorc

Maxima and Crocea are the ones that need the most light since they are found in the shallowest waters.
I don't think I would try any clam without MH though. They get virtuallly all of their food from their zoanthella which get their food from the light.
A great book to read is "Giant Clams in the Sea and the Aquarium" by James Fatheree. It is a great read with lots of info about clams as well as tons of pictures.

vdituri

I'm sitting under regular flourescents right now?
Happy as a clam.

Actually, not really, I'm at work, so as happy as a clam can be at work on a Friday when the weather is beautiful outside. :snshne:

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I'm sitting under regular flourescents right now?
Happy as a clam.

Actually, not really, I'm at work, so as happy as a clam can be at work on a Friday when the weather is beautiful outside. :snshne:

:LOL: From the "look" of your AVATAR you are VERY happy!

Yeah it's an AMAZING day outside... I need to be GOLFING!!

I'm "hoping" to have a clam under my new T-5's (8 bulb system ) in the near future.

Allen

prow

i would have to say that those books just might be out dated. James Fatheree is simply wrong that MH is the only lighting adequate enough for clams, thats so not ture. check my tank thread. i have only T5's and two crocea clams along with some demanding acors and such. have had them under T5's for 1.5 years. they grew from 3" to the 6" they are now. super colored. the lower one is about 15" under the water line. an expert on clams i think not.

lcstorc

i would have to say that those books just might be out dated. James Fatheree is simply wrong that MH is the only lighting adequate enough for clams, thats so not ture. check my tank thread. i have only T5's and two crocea clams along with some demanding acors and such. have had them under T5's for 1.5 years. they grew from 3" to the 6" they are now. super colored. the lower one is about 15" under the water line. an expert on clams i think not.

Well he is considered enough of an expert in the field that he spoke at MACNA on the topic.
I can also say that the clams I had and thought looked good have improved dramatically after taking his advice.
I'm not saying it can't be done. I am certainly no expert.

Humm now I am confused ;) I was going to get a clam for my tank I have a T5 nova extreme but now not sure they have a bunch of clams at LFS under my same light doing great but this thread says other wise will it work if I put the clam on top of some rocks close to the top of the tank?

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Humm now I am confused ;) I was going to get a clam for my tank I have a T5 nova extreme but now not sure they have a bunch of clams at LFS under my same light doing great but this thread says other wise will it work if I put the clam on top of some rocks close to the top of the tank?

always keep in mind that your LFS is in the business to get stuff (clams, fish, corals everything ) in, display them attractively and then SELL them to you. Even under the "Wrong" lights they can live for a good while so even though they are currently under less than IDEAL lights (and probably look good still) that doesn't mean that they are gonna thrive long term under them. On the same token Jack is very experienced in this and if it's worked for him it "should" work for you (and Me).

Allen

prow

Well he is considered enough of an expert in the field that he spoke at MACNA on the topic.
I can also say that the clams I had and thought looked good have improved dramatically after taking his advice.
I'm not saying it can't be done. I am certainly no expert.
no matter who he speaks to or where he speaks, he is absolutely wrong. if i followed his advise i could not have the tank i have now. on this subject, IMO, no real expert would be so far off from the turth. he might have good insights, based on others work, doesnt change the fact that he is way off on this one. no need to make excuses for him, he is just wrong and thats that.

lcstorc

You certainly have every right to disagree.
However your opinion is just that based on your experiences.
His opinion is his opinion based on his experiences and studies he has read or done.
There are very few if any absolutes in this hobby other than perhaps you need saltwater and something to put it in.

DrHank

There have been a lot of advances in T5 lighting going on. I don't doubt that you could get clams to do very well under them. With enough high quality tubes and excellent individual reflectors I'm sure that you could provide sufficient light.

I've seen some very beautiful set ups running T5s. Personally, I love the shimmer you get from MH but a lot of folks would prefer the cooler running and more energy efficient T5s.