Chromi's eye is bulging...

brikeibur

Ok, so here's the skinny....
I have a 24G Nano that has been set up for about 6 weeks now. All levels seem to be fine. I have 2 green chromis some crabs and a feather duster. I previously had a dottyback and a pygmy angel. The pygmy died due to a combination of being constantly picked at by the dotty and a slight increase in ammonia (or at least that was our guess, we know they are sensitive to ammonia, and with the added stress it just seemed the most likely explanation). We returned the dottyback because he bullied everything (we were told he would only bully fish looking similar to himself....long thin fish, but were later told that was true, but they also bully everything smaller than them). The chromis have been solo now for about a week and a half and seem to be great except for the fact that one has a bulging eye (I did not notice this while the 'bullying' was occuring). What could this be? They did have badly damaged fins from the dottyback but they are much better now and have almost regrown them completely. The chromi eats and swims about normally, but the eye looks awful, like something is pushing it out from behind. It pokes out more in the very front near his face than it does in the rear of the eye. Is this some sort of parasite, should he be quarantined and treated?? Any help is appreciated. Thanks!!
Brian and Stacy

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Internal bacterial infection is my guess. Poor water quality and stress can cause it. Always provide a stress free environment for the fish. The dottyback should have been removed as soon as it began harrassing the other fish.
You can remove the chromis and treat it with a broad antibiotic in a hospital tank or keep it in the nano and begin doing 20%water changes every few days and hope it recovers.
Also be sure your feeding fresh foods. Keep all flake/pellets in the freezer and throw away after 3 months. Old/rotten food can make fish sick.

brikeibur

We had to leave the dottyback in the tank for the weekend, until we could return him, but we brought him back as soon as possible. We also bought a hospital tank and tried to save our angel, but it was too late. The chromi seems to be fine now other than that. Could it be that he is fine, but will be deformed from now on? Thats ok if so, but if it means the fish is still sick then I want to do what I can. If this is how he will look forever then I am guessing the odds are is that he is over it, but just has the 'scars' to show, I say this because it doesn't seem to be getting worse. Thanks.

We still have our hospital tank, so if quarantining him and treating him will make it go away or whatever then I can do that. I just don't want to stress him out by moving him if it is pointless and won't help.

brikeibur

Here, I took some pics, perhaps this will help:

6wks_Jul24_2007_51a_.jpg

6wks_Jul24_2007_55a_.jpg

brikeibur

well, just an update, so far the chromi is still doing well. I have him in the main tank still and I haven't done anything with him but observe. He is still eating good and acts normally, just looks funny still. I am constantly checking the levels of the water and on occasion I have the LFS doublecheck and test it as well, and everything is still looking great. I don't know if it is still 'active' or if that is just how he is going to look from now on, but just wanted to let you guys know he is still truckin!!!

lcstorc

Glad to hear he seems to be doing well. The fact that he is still eating is great.
Go ahead and set up the 10g and let it cycle now. Then you wil be ready to QT your next fish.