Chillers: is it OK to unplug it in the middle of a cooling cycle ?

Danreef

Hi

Yesterday evening I wanted to do my weekly water change and the chiller started to work when I was going to unplug it. I waited half hour after he stop and did my job. But !!!!! I was wondering if the chiller will be affected if I stop it in the middle of a cooling cycle.

I have a JBJ 1/10 connected to a RSM 250. The JBJ user manual do not say anything about my question.

Any experiences ?

Thanks
Daniel

Mark9

Has been struck by the ban stick
Good question, i've always wondered the same thing.
Following...

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
just thinking about it... seems like it would not hurt... it, if it was like you adjusted the temp up to a higher temp & made it quit chilling...

is that an easy practical option before turning off

see what others think...

Parisian

Whether the compressor is cut by the thermostat or manually, it probably doesn't make any difference. I often do that.

Danreef

Whether the compressor is cut by the thermostat or manually, it probably doesn't make any difference. I often do that.

Nice !!! The rational is very logic. Now I will not worry if I need to change water and stop the chiller when it is working .

Thank you all for your answers.

Daniel

RedSeaKev

RS Sponsor
Not a problem folks, as stated powering down whilst normal cooling cycle will make no difference, many folks run control systems (GHL, Aquatronica etc) to run their chillers anyway setting the chiller 1 degree above a normal running temperature, the controllers then take care of the operation of the chiller not using the on-board chiller controller.

rhogeo

This brings up a question I have wondered about. Do you need to periodically clean the chiller somehow? Any kind of maintenance that should be done yearly, monthly, etc?

Mark9

Has been struck by the ban stick
Check your manual for the recommended cleaning and maintenance.

Danreef

Ok...good we are discussing this point now.

I have mine connected to an Eheim in replacement of pump #2 of the RSM 250. it is working 24/7 and it will be the full year or you guys stop it in winter and go back to the standard pump and NO chiller connected.

RedSeaKev

RS Sponsor
Folks, a simple back flush with mains water usually does the trick, simply send the water via the outlet (reversing the normal flow) and sending it straight to waste.