Chiller and winter time ..............

Danreef

Hi All

First summer season for my RSM250 is gone. I have followed what many have done. I have my chiller connected to a pump that replaced pump #2. Chiller has done a great job. But now, that fall is here and soon winter, the chiller will not work more.............so here is the question(s):

- You shut off the chiller and let the pump working until next summer that you start the chiller again ?

- You take out the chiller assembling and install pump # 2 again ?

- You clean the chiller pipes ? and let the chiller + pump connected until next summer?

- Etc...etc ...etc ???

In other words....What do you do ?

Thank you !!!
Daniel

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
When I ran a chiller, I did nothing during the winter. I live in Florida so in my case I needed it pretty much year round so it didn't make any sense to take it down. I haven't heard of anyone doing anything different during the winter but others may be trying different things. Let's see...

Oxylebius

I leave my chiller hooked up year round. It doesn't work in the winter, no harm in keeping it hooked up though. I suppose if you want to unhook it for the winter you can and it would be a good time for a cleaning of it.

Danreef

Thank you Goma and Oxy.

Oxy, if you leave it year round hooked, did you ever unhooked it for cleaning.

Oxylebius

Only once did I unhook it for cleaning and it was a big mess. The only time I spilled tank water all over the brand new hardwood floors (floors are 6 months older than the tank) :away:

Because it was such a hassle, I have not unhooked it again.

I have regularly cleaned out the condenser in the front of the chiller by taking the front cover off.

newo11

I leave mine running year round as well. But - you may want to check your owners manual. Often they say that you should back flow the chiller lines every six months or so to remove sediment, vermetid snails etc.

Oxylebius

I leave my chiller hooked up year round. It doesn't work in the winter, no harm in keeping it hooked up though. I suppose if you want to unhook it for the winter you can and it would be a good time for a cleaning of it.

To clarify, the chiller is hooked up all winter and plugged in. The pumps continues to run as always, year round. I keep the chiller hooked up, but b/c of the temp of the room, the chiller doesn't kick on in the winter months.

Oxylebius

Only once did I unhook it for cleaning and it was a big mess. The only time I spilled tank water all over the brand new hardwood floors (floors are 6 months older than the tank) :away:
Because it was such a hassle, I have not unhooked it again.
I have regularly cleaned out the condenser in the front of the chiller by taking the front cover off.

I leave mine running year round as well. But - you may want to check your owners manual. Often they say that you should back flow the chiller lines every six months or so to remove sediment, vermetid snails etc.

I know, but I dread having to do it again. My owners manual says that both the inside (heating element) and condenser need to be cleaned every 6 months - urgh!

Danreef

Nice Chat here. I will take a look to the manual, but I am sure it will say something about cleaning it to cover their backs (warranty).

Let see if others add to this comments.

I am so lacy to unplug it and clean the guy that I believe I will follow Oxy ....urgh! ! ....and Newo11... LOL

Oxy and Newo11 for how many years you have had your chillers working in that way .

Cheers
Daniel

newo11

I know, but I dread having to do it again. My owners manual says that both the inside (heating element) and condenser need to be cleaned every 6 months - urgh!

I've had to remove the chiller so many times in the past two months I am now an expert. The trick - blow out the lines before you try to remove the chiller. Just blow a mouth full of air through - you'll be amazed at the amount of water that's in the lines.

blackbeltmom

PREMIUM
My has been running for about three years. I live it hooked up all year. My tank is in our living room and we use our fireplace during the winter. It actually may run more during the winter than in the summer. In the summer the air conditioning actually keeps the house cooler than we keep it during the winter.