Chemi-Clean Question...

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
I used it and it worked great. The directions state to use 1 of their spoonfuls per 10 gallons of water. I figured I have 75-80 gallons but didn't want to be overly aggressive so I used the amount recommended for 60 gallons. You need to remove all mechanical filtration (chemi-pure, GFO, carbon). Turn off the skimmer. Add an airstone and this is a key point that can't be overlooked! The directions state that after 48 hours to do a 20% water change. Well for me at the 48 hours point there was still some cyano so I waited 72 hours and at that point it was magically gone (it had been receding over the previous days) !! I was really amazed! I did a 20 % water change, put back in my GFO and carbon. Turned the skimmer on and it went nuts!! Based on reading on the Chemi-Clean website I just let the skimmer run and allowed it to overflow into the sump. The next day I did another water change of 10% and after about 24 hours the skimmer calmed down to the point that it was useful again.

No harm to any fish, corals or inverts.

Mike Johnson

I can't believe that a reefer that I admire would resort to a chemical treatment that WILL also affect other microbes in the aquarium. It will also just come back if the cause is not addressed. Red Slime (Ocillitoria) can be eradicated and at the same time fix the problem that caused it in the first place. One thing not mentioned in this article is to keep candles, deodorizers, and sprays out of the room with the tank.

I've tried to upload it many times. When I get it figured out I'll send it.

Mike Johnson

Just realized you're from KY, I hear Japan is taking over the bourbon trail...

Yeah, Makers Mark for one, and I forget who owns them. I guess that's an indicator that the Japanese appreciate the finer things in life.

North of the river they dose with vodka; down here we dose with only the finest Kentucky bourbon.

Can you tell, through my typing, that I've starting dosing tonight.

Got a frag delivered today for coming in second in an "Ugly Coral" photograph contest!

Mike Johnson

I believe you are correct. When I read that I didn't know the two were linked. The Japanese however have a little more learning to do because I don't prefer either one of those as my bourbon of choice.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
:threadjack: you booze hounds :) (I kid I kid)

I've heard it works well but I wouldn't put it in my tank, I go all natural!

Mike Johnson

Take a look at this, specifically 2:40 - 3:25. It's not an antibiotic like other products; it's a bacteria based product. It will get rid of algae (plant life) and Cyano (bacteria). Totally safe - it's smart bacteria that knows which algae and bacteria you want to get rid of. Not like the other products ( like chemi-clean) that are antibiotic based. Then you can regularly use Refresh to put bacteria back into the tank and it removes organic matter and nitrates and phosphates. A capful of each (except the first one, "pour the whole bottle in, it won't do you any good sitting on the shelf") and you'll have a tank that's the envy of everyone.

https://store.drtimsaquatics.com/

ziggy

Take a look at this, specifically 2:40 - 3:25. It's not an antibiotic like other products; it's a bacteria based product. It will get rid of algae (plant life) and Cyano (bacteria). Totally safe - it's smart bacteria that knows which algae and bacteria you want to get rid of. Not like the other products ( like chemi-clean) that are antibiotic based. Then you can regularly use Refresh to put bacteria back into the tank and it removes organic matter and nitrates and phosphates. A capful of each (except the first one, "pour the whole bottle in, it won't do you any good sitting on the shelf") and you'll have a tank that's the envy of everyone.

https://store.drtimsaquatics.com/

do you use it Mike?

Mike Johnson

Come on, Dr. Tim has a white coat on, we should believe him. I'm not writing this to personally flame Dr. Tim, but, on the other hand, I am aghast at "scientists" that prey on the public with snake remedies. When someone can show me scientific proof that a certain bacteria will eliminate just the bad organic wastes and not the ones that are vital to the health of the animals and corals in the tank I'll study it intensively.

Are organic wastes bad? I'll bring up for consideration - Some notable aquarists, including Peter Wilkins, deliberately stir their substrates to feed corals with dissolved organics, bacteria, and plankton. Mr. Wilkens had success with the very challenging Dendronephthya type corals for many years running using this technique.

If dissolved organics, bacteria, and plankton are necessary for coral health why would you want to want to eliminate all of them?

Bearjohnson

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
Well I wasn't asking for myself.....I know someone who just dosed their tank and I was wondering if I was in for a future headache or not.

Now the bourbon idea seems to me like a much better natural option. My brother is a big Makers Mark fan and I think it's OK. Honestly though, me and my good buddy Jack Daniels, you know Old No7 himself are VERY close friends. In fact, he has an open invitation to hang in my freezer whenever we feel like hanging out:clink: