Caribbean black corals date back to jesus

Frankie

RS STAFF
6a00d8341bf67c53ef014e87404103970d-800wi.jpg

Marine biologists finally know how many candles to put on the birthday cakes for deep water black coral in the Caribbean Sea. And it seems they'll need a very large cake, since some of the black corals are 2000 years-old.

“The fact that the animals live continuously for thousands of years amazes me,” said Dr. Nancy Prouty of the U.S. Geological Survey Pacific Coastal and Marine Science Center in a press release by the USGS.

Prouty analyzed coral samples collected by the USGS and colleagues between 2003 and 2009 to figure out the age of the ancient corals.

For the complete article please click here--> Caribbean Black Corals Date Back to Jesus : Discovery News

GlassMunky

+1 and that video was cool as well. I didnt know about the different types of reefs and how they came to be

Frankie

RS STAFF
That one looks like DNA my wife said.

Imagine the frustration some reefers would have with the growth rate of the thing! 8 to 22 micrometers per year! LOL! It would take your whole life to grow half an inch.

They should name it Boomer

ChrisOaty

Growth rate aside...It'd take all I have not to try breaking off a small piece, gluing it to a chunk of rock and calling it my own =] Such a cool looking coral!

DesertOrchid

I recently was in Cozumel and saw lots of black coral jewelry and sculptures. Makes me sad to think that it took centuries for the coral to get that big and then was taken from the ocean for such frivolous means.